Respected Contributor

Somewhere on these forums I read that coconut oil works on hot spots on dogs.

Is it the waxy form or oil?

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Esteemed Contributor
I use coconut oil for the skin. I add it to thier food (not typically). Also coconut oil is a solid under 75 degrees and a liquid above 75.
Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I would never put coconut oil directly on my dog.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

We just started adding coconut oil to our dogs food. He was constantly itchy and scratching himself. It's been about 2 weeks and I think I am seeing some improvement. It comes in a jar in paste form. I put a spoonful in his bowl and when I scrape the spoon with my finger, I put the excess on the top of my hands, it immediately turns to an oil. I would never put it directly, he would be very greasy.

Respected Contributor

Thanks CrazyDaisy & luvpoos for giving me the answers I need.

Honored Contributor

I have a friend who has a dog that scratches all the time. The Vet hasn't been able to help very much. I'm going to tell her about adding coconut oil paste to her dog's food. I appreciate the information, too.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Sometimes dogs that scratch frequently have skin diseases. I've had several dogs that did. It's extremely frustrating to treat.

Trusted Contributor

Hi Pommom. Just saw your post and had another product I thought you might be interested in. I have labs (right now I have 2) and they notoriously have skin allergies. Years ago, I found a product called SeaMeal by Solid Gold. I had mentioned this to another poster some time ago and I believe she also had good results with it. It can be bought at Amazon or at any local pet store (PetSupermarket, PetSmart, Pet Emporium). You sprinkle a small amount in their food and it is great for skin conditions. My first lab had awful hot spots and after a friend recommended this product to me (over 15 years ago), I never had a problem for the rest of his life. It does have a bit of a fishy smell, but the dog loved it and the oils from the seaweed made his coat amazingly shiny and healthy and cleared those hotspots up quickly. You can check it out online and read about it, but thought this might help! Good luck with your pup.

Respected Contributor

MTH - thanks so much! She's on Victor All Life Stages Salmon so the fishy smell wouldn't matter. I will most certainly look into this.

I take her shampoo and a tea tree & aloe medicated conditioner to the groomer each time she goes. It has helped some, but a couple of days later the scratching starts all over again.

The vet has looked at her and doesn't feel she's a candidate for allergy shots and, quite frankly, I don't even want to go there. I know that there has to be another route to take.

Stay tuned for an update! Mil gracias!

Trusted Contributor
On 1/29/2015 pommom said:

MTH - thanks so much! She's on Victor All Life Stages Salmon so the fishy smell wouldn't matter. I will most certainly look into this.

I take her shampoo and a tea tree & aloe medicated conditioner to the groomer each time she goes. It has helped some, but a couple of days later the scratching starts all over again.

The vet has looked at her and doesn't feel she's a candidate for allergy shots and, quite frankly, I don't even want to go there. I know that there has to be another route to take.

Stay tuned for an update! Mil gracias!

Please do let me know how your baby does. I was impressed enough with the SeaMeal to recommend it so I feel it helped. I'm in South Florida so between being in the salt pool and rolling in the grass year round, I was so glad I found SeaMeal.

Keep me posted!