Trusted Contributor

Wasn't sure where to post this, but there are a lot of knowledgable folks on this forum so thought I'd start here.

I recently bought a jar of "expeller cold pressed" coconut oil.  The label says it's 100% coconut oil, and 100% organic.  It smells ever-so-slightly of coconut, and melts upon touch.

Do you think I could use it for both cooking AND applying to my hair/skin, etc?

Honored Contributor

Re: Coconut Oil - eat or apply?

You can certainly use it for both!

I do.

Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

Yes, you can use that for cooking or personal care.

I have tried coconut oil as a moisturizer, a facial cleanser, a scalp oil, and an eye makeup remover. What I found was that coconut oil breaks me out - badly. I don't get it anywhere near my skin now.

Respected Contributor

I don't cook with it--I prefer olive oil but I do add a few drops to whatever body lotion I'm using.  It keeps my skin extremely soft and supple.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes you can eat it! 

I say if you can eat some thing, then that thing is okay to put on your skin. In a perfect world, things that are put on our skin should also be okay to eat. But we all know that's not a good thing to do with all the yuk out there. I only wish it were.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I use it for both....I keep a large tub of coconut oil on my nightstand.  After showers/bath I slather on coconut oil.  I use it frequently on hands/cuticles.  Sometimes I take a break from normal serums/oils/creams and just use coconut oil on face and decollete

Honored Contributor

I've used coconut oil for cooking but I'd no more use it for moisturizing than I would slather lard on my face.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Both

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I always buy a big jar and then put some in a seperate container to use as a deep conditioner for my hair and as my eye makeup remover for times when my regular facial cleanser doesn't remove it all (only with some waterproof makeup).

The other jar stays in the kitchen and I use it to cook with or mix in with oatmeal, coffee, put it on my toast instead of butter,  or whatever. I mainly use olive oil and canola oil to cook with but will use the coconut oil occasionally. 

I personally do not like coconut oil straight as a moisturizer though, especially on my face.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I put some in my morning breakfast smoothie.

I won't use it on my face but it's nice as a body moisturizer when you're feeling particularly dry.

Works great as a massage oil, too!!!

P.S.  It's nothing like lard.

Cat Tongue