Super Contributor

Re: Cocktails at the jewelry store?

This is too funny! I was just talking to my sister about this yesterday!

As frequent visitors to Hawaii, many years ago, there was a well known jewelry store that would pick us up at the hotel, take us to the store (where they served champagne/ cocktails while we shopped), then take us back to the hotel! They knew that the more the customers drank the more they shopped!

So much fun!!! Thanks for reminding me!

Honored Contributor

I'm no prude when it comes to alcohol, I love a good cocktail but I think this is dangerous.   All of the higher end stores here will offer champagne or wine to their customers making a substantial purchase, such as an engagement ring, or wedding rings or such.

But to have a full bar?    If they are giving away the drinks, they don't need a liquor license but beyond that, there are no other regulations.    As the store owner I would not want to be responsible for the one who may abuse it.   What about the employees??    I bet they indulge.   

I remember those Mad Men days!    I miss them!    Every now & then us "girls" would drink our lunch.   Some made it back the rest of the day, some didn't.   And I've worked for small companies that would crack a bottle of wine or some type of low alcohol drink around happy hour time.  Not every day, but maybe after a particularly hard week.

Esteemed Contributor

@Major Shopper wrote:

This is too funny! I was just talking to my sister about this yesterday!

As frequent visitors to Hawaii, many years ago, there was a well known jewelry store that would pick us up at the hotel, take us to the store (where they served champagne/ cocktails while we shopped), then take us back to the hotel! They knew that the more the customers drank the more they shopped!

So much fun!!! Thanks for reminding me!

@Major Shopper  Nice that they were considerate enough to provide a driver.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@Grouchomarx wrote:

Today I went to a jewelry store I’ve never been to. I needed a lot of watch batteries and found the place by accident while driving around. I’ve been driving around with a stash of dead watches for months, hoping for a convenient place to get them done. Found it! So I walk in after they buzzed me through the door and put in my request. While waiting for them to be done I’m just looking around, only a few other customers aside from me. After a while I notice a guy leaning on a counter and he seems to have a colorful drink he’s sipping on, then I noticed there is a full bar set up in the corner! I’ve never seen such a thing. Sure I’ve seen people having a champagne toast or something similar, but never a full bar with a lot of bottles of liquor. So funny. And funnier it took me at least 15 minutes to notice LoL. I wonder what is the deal with that. It’s a very nice jewelry store and they had a lot of expensive looking merchandise. Maybe a free cocktail with every purchase? I didn’t qualify with my watch batteries purchase, too bad.

@Grouchomarx...You were a paying customer so I think while you were waiting for your watches, they would have given you a glass of wine if you asked. 

@Grouchomarx  They should have offered without you needing to ask.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Cher got even, she told the salesperson, she wanted to buy 5 of the item she was interested in.. I would have went one better, if she was working on commission I would have bought even more, and asked for a different sales person, so the nasty one didn't get the commission

Respected Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

Have never heard of it in the US, but have experienced it in the Carribean from cruises.

I was just going to say this.  I think I've been in a few Effy's stores where they were offering a glass of wine.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I went to a hair salon once that served wine. The stylist doing my hair must have had a bit too much because she cut the bottom of my hair very crookedly. I didn't notice until I got home and never went back for her to fix it. I thought it may look worse when she was done lol. Thankfully I didn't pay a lot for the hair cut and she didn't do major damage.

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@Grouchomarx    I was waiting to pick up a necklace I was having repaired at a local jeweler.    I asked the clerk to show me a pair of sapphire stud earrings..........and she said, "YOU can't afford those".     

@Desertdi   That would prompt me to ask for the store manager!!

Honored Contributor

2 things: 

DH always buys batteries at the Dollar Tree.

Saying "you can't afford those" is just another sales thingie.

Honored Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

I went to a hair salon once that served wine. The stylist doing my hair must have had a bit too much because she cut the bottom of my hair very crookedly. I didn't notice until I got home and never went back for her to fix it. I thought it may look worse when she was done lol. Thankfully I didn't pay a lot for the hair cut and she didn't do major damage.

most of the independent hair salons and nail salons offer wine, sodas, and waters around here while you are either waiting or getting something done.

the jewelry stores and salons dont need a liquor license to serve alcohol when they are giving it for free.

have never heard about them "over-serving" customers.

i like it......and they have my business because not only do they have excellent quality merchandise and service, but they go above and beyond in their customer service experience. i purchase jewelry and gift items from them, i take my watches in for service/batteries/watch bands, i take in jewelry repairs, and i sell them my gold and silver when i have broken items that i dont want to fix. great marketing.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein