Esteemed Contributor

Re: Coastal areas of SC Evacuatng

@Cakers3 wrote:

Estimated 2.23 million people will be affected by this storm per the Weather Channel.

Just watching the SC evacuation - hoping everyone remains safe on the road,  too.

eta:  Estimate for the US.  Over 8 million overall to include everywhere Matthew has struck.

Then you'll have the idiots who will refuse to leave.

I say, if they choose to stay, then they deserve whatever consequence that comes their way.

If they decide to call for help, the authorities should ignore them. 

Why should first responders  risk their lives, to save people who  were too idiotic to leave, when they  were told  to leave?

I hope that everyone heeds the warnings, listens to the authorities, and stays safe.

Honored Contributor

Estimate for the US has gone up.  I've never had to evacuate and cannot imagine how hard it can be.  Especially for those who do not have the resources to head out.

Rescue personnel are at risk for those who stay behind but I balk at the idea to just let a person die because they didn't leave.  There could be a valid reason why they couldn't get out.

Have compassion.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@chihuahuamom wrote:

Used to live in South Carolina too.  Loved it! We were there in Hurricane Hugo, but not close to the coast.

My husband was in Charleston during Hugo (we weren't married then), and he didn't have power for SIX WEEKS!