Honored Contributor

Re: Coast Guard, People & Pets

@LTT1 wrote:

We have three known friends/family who are"caught" right now.

One is tugging at my heart. She is so independent and brave. I believe shock has set in. They are safe now in the closest major city but say they are going right back. 

Her little kids and adorable DH... he has an infection, got a shot of rocefin. His infection is from contaminated water, where he performed water rescues.

A niece is in Beaumont not thinking straight, IMO. They are staying for now. Oh dear. I don't know what I am doing except fighting the good fight relaying information on social media. Aaaaack

@LTT1  Last I saw Beaumont is basically an island right now.  Both main and secondary water pumps not working-no water.  They are working as quickly as they can and are setting up drinking water distribution.  Your niece may not be able to get out right now.

I'm so sorry to read about your friend and her DH.  Hopefully he heals quickly.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Iluvhandbags  My understanding was that they were shipping dogs and cats that were in the shelters before the hurricane to other states to be adopted ....so there is room to keep the pets of displaced homeowners until they can  take them back.  They were not shipping out the pets of people caught up in the floods.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Iluvhandbags  My understanding was that they were shipping dogs and cats that were in the shelters before the hurricane to other states to be adopted ....so there is room to keep the pets of displaced homeowners until they can  take them back.  They were not shipping out the pets of people caught up in the floods.

I saw the same report. I was uset at first when I saw pets being shipped out and very relieved when I saw the same report you did.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Oh! That's better! My heart stopped there for a bit when I read that post.....thanks for the clarification. Smiley Happy

~~~ So many handbags....so few hands ~~~

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for this thread, @Noel7.   It's been heartwarming to see the news reports and all the social media activity about those who are rescuing pets -- and wildlife, too.    One of my friends in Texas is very active in animal rescue, adoption, and transport.    She commented that in many cases those who are involved don't always have time to update their social media accounts and they're so appreciative of the media coverage they continue to receive.   Prayers and gratitude for all who offer help, support, and encouragement.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LTT1 wrote:

We have three known friends/family who are"caught" right now.

One is tugging at my heart. She is so independent and brave. I believe shock has set in. They are safe now in the closest major city but say they are going right back. 

Her little kids and adorable DH... he has an infection, got a shot of rocefin. His infection is from contaminated water, where he performed water rescues.

A niece is in Beaumont not thinking straight, IMO. They are staying for now. Oh dear. I don't know what I am doing except fighting the good fight relaying information on social media. Aaaaack

(((@LTT1))),  I offer my prayers for your family and friends.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

An independent tire store from Brunswick, Georgia collected two tractor trailer loads of supplies, One left yesterday and the other was being packed up today. It just amazed me what people are doing to help out.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1  Any update on your niece?

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Seattle Humane and PAWS air lifted dogs and cats already in the shelters in  Houston to make room for the rescues.  They are putting them up for adoption here.

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne, given the heat wave on the West coast, I am wondering if that's a good idea...their hearts are in the right place....but do shelters have AC?

We have a Border Collie who thrives on being outside: she was bred for working outdoors, but when it's hot, she comes in and parks herself in front of an AC vent, or stretches out on cool tile flooring. I don't think she would do too well in the heat wave there.

Poodlepet2