Respected Contributor

Re: Co-sleeping with your furbaby :)

@Shorty2U wrote:

We lock our bedroom door from our 3 cats at bedtime. They used to sleep with us but they jumped on me and startled me at 3 and 4AM and I twisted my bad back a lot. So regretfully we had to lock them out of our bedroom. One sleeps/waits outside the door for DH to get up at 4AM. The other 2 sleep in their big cat beds downstairs. On occasion they do scratch at the door, but mostly they are used to it now. IF I didnt have this bad back i would gladly let our cats sleep with us as I did my whole life with all of my pets.

My kitty likes to sleep with me, wake me at 4am and then around 6am come back in. If I dont let her in she scratches at the door until I let her in! I have created a problem. I cant leave my door open because I rent a room (the cat used to be the landlords but 'adopted me') I love her but she is one spoiled cat!

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor

@hsawaknow wrote:

@Shorty2U wrote:

We lock our bedroom door from our 3 cats at bedtime. They used to sleep with us but they jumped on me and startled me at 3 and 4AM and I twisted my bad back a lot. So regretfully we had to lock them out of our bedroom. One sleeps/waits outside the door for DH to get up at 4AM. The other 2 sleep in their big cat beds downstairs. On occasion they do scratch at the door, but mostly they are used to it now. IF I didnt have this bad back i would gladly let our cats sleep with us as I did my whole life with all of my pets.

My kitty likes to sleep with me, wake me at 4am and then around 6am come back in. If I dont let her in she scratches at the door until I let her in! I have created a problem. I cant leave my door open because I rent a room (the cat used to be the landlords but 'adopted me') I love her but she is one spoiled cat!

When it comes to our fur babies, sleep is highly overrated.

Trusted Contributor

For those of you who allow animals into your bed....what do you do about cleanliness?  Do you change your sheets every night?  Give the animals a daily bath?

I don't even get into my bed at night without bathing.  I can't imagine letting an animal into my bed without doing one or another.

Honored Contributor

@CardinalGirl wrote:

For those of you who allow animals into your bed....what do you do about cleanliness?  Do you change your sheets every night?  Give the animals a daily bath?

I don't even get into my bed at night without bathing.  I can't imagine letting an animal into my bed without doing one or another.

Good question for those that let their pets outdoors.   However, my Bogey is an indoor kitty ...... and very fastidious.     Him sitting on the sofa or his favorite chair doesn't work up a sweat.

Respected Contributor

Regarding the cleanliness issue, although it isn't the rule, it is possible to get potentially serious bacterial or parasitic infections by allowing pets to sleep in your bed.   Because I am more susceptible to "bugs" and for the most part, cannot take drugs, I'm happy that my dog prefers to sleep in his luxurious bed.  When we adopted cats and they came home from the shelter with giardia, we couldn't allow them in the bed because that is a bug that often cannot be completely eradicated from their system.

Honored Contributor

Now you tell me! I thought this king size bed was hers! Well, heavens to Betsy!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CardinalGirl wrote:

Our dog gets bathed every week.  He sleeps at the bottom of the bed. There is a sheet and his blanket on top of our quilt.  The sheet and blanket get washed every time I change the sheets or more often if necessary.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Now you tell me! I thought this king size bed was hers! Well, heavens to Betsy!

Not to go off topic here,  but does anyone know who "Betsy" is?

Frequent Contributor

@CardinalGirl wrote:

Not surprised. I remember posts from you about how you dislike or hate cats.

Valued Contributor

My husband and I replaced our two "little girls" (2 standard poodles) beds.  The Orvis Outlet had two beautiful memory foam dog beds, on sale.   We thought about spending that much on dog beds, but decided to splurge.   Since we put them out (next to our bed) they go directly to their beds and don't move until morning.  It just confirms they are smart.  They have claimed the best mattresses in the house!

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela