Respected Contributor

Cloud Formation near White Sands Missile Range

This cloud formation occurred yesterday afternoon and sat there. It is beautiful, but its location made it more exciting.

IMG_0417.jpeg

IMG_0420.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Re: Cloud Formation near White Sands Missile Range

Looks pretty neat. The 2nd pic looks like it's just sitting on top of the mountain or even coming out of it?

Respected Contributor

Wow, I've never seen clouds like that before.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

From what I can observe from the photos, the first one was taken in Las Cruces looking East. The second one appears to have been taken on the opposite side of the mountains driving toward Las Cruces looking West. The missile range is east of these mountains but not far.

Honored Contributor

Nature sure is amazing. Never a dull moment!

I bet that is the first time most have ever seen anything like that! 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Those kind of clouds seem to form over mountainous areas mostly. I've seen them over Pikes Peak here. They signify unstable air as it bounces off the mountain terrain below and are a forecast indicator of an approaching storm.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee Thank you for the explanation. That is why they did not move across the sky like most clouds.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee I grew up in a valley in PA, where we did have lots of interesting clouds, but never as much fun as I remember the clouds during the summers DH and I pulled a travel trailer from coast to coast.  The Rockies do amazing things to the weather.   

Honored Contributor

@On It 

You might be seeing these (altostratus clouds) in the coming days...maybe.

download.jpg

Honored Contributor

I think they are called lenticular clouds.   Mostly mountain areas, but are seen here sometimes in Oklahoma with the thunderstorms. Not sure those are exactly the same, but look much like these.