Esteemed Contributor

I have a bag of used clothes and am scheduling a pickup from Vietnam Veterans.  According to their site they have available pickup dates starting Monday, June 1st (I'm in NY).

Honored Contributor

@twinsister 

I am in NY and just went to the VA website, so far they do not seem to be setting up pick up dates as yet, I tried to call with no success either

@twinsister wrote:

I have a bag of used clothes and am scheduling a pickup from Vietnam Veterans.  According to their site they have available pickup dates starting Monday, June 1st (I'm in NY).

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Get online and do a Google search for all thrifts in your area. Some here were open even during the shutdowns, and in our state, most have reopened. Also search shelters for homeless and battered women. Someone somewhere should be taking donations unless you are in NYC area, then it might be harder. 

Honored Contributor

in the best of times lots of thrifts and charities are overwhelmed with donations.  Can’t imagine them being able to store and sell or just give away all we’ve purged as we stayed home for so long.

my decision so far was to toss anything even slightly in need of cleaning or repair but I’ve temporarily designated a portion of my guest closet for some items I know are still new enough and good to enough to be desirable.  I’m hoping there will be a time before any guests to successfully donate. 

I have also filled a good sized box with kitchen items I no longer use as well as some small pitchers, vases, and even some holiday items.  When the world rights itself, I wash and repack them for donation.  Probably couldn’t lift the box anyway. 

Honored Contributor

with all of the needy/homeless/battered people out there, i cannot believe someone would just say to TOSS the clothing. Smiley SurprisedMan Sad

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I have 7 bags sitting in my basement. I am waiting till the Lupus Foundation starts pick ups again.

Respected Contributor

@bluehost wrote:

MY SUV has it's trunk full of "stuff", clothing, that no one wants. I think they are too nice for Goodwill, etc. So.........clothes are not something most want unless they are lightly worn, dry cleaned, on hangers and well known designer labels.

I suggest you toss. 

This makes no sense ot me.  Why would "no one want" clothes that are "too nice for Goodwill" ?   A homeless shelter or a church that ministers to the poor (and there are many more poor now, with so many out of work) would be grateful for them. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Clothing donation/toss?

[ Edited ]

I had a prior  Veterans pickup scheduled which they cancelled due to COVID .  It seems to me that  alot of these donation places need to look  at the  newest reserach data  on how long covid   virus remains  infectious on surfaces . I can understand that  they  might not want donations now while  their businesses are on shutdown . The truth is whenever one buys from thrift or 2nd hand there is an inherent risk  of either bed bugs, dust mites,  and fleas on items .  We all know how to wash items.

Aslo hepatitis A,  B & C virus can :

"The hepatitis B virus can survive outside the body for at least 7 days."

"The Hepatitis C virus can survive outside the body at room temperature, on environmental surfaces, for up to 3 weeks However, a site quoting the CDC says “According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, HCV can survive on environmental surfaces at room temperature for at least 16 hours but no longer ..."

"The hepatitis A virus is able to survive outside the body for months. High temperatures, such as boiling or cooking food or liquids for at least 1 minute at 185°F (85°C), kill the virus, although freezing temperatures do not. "

Contributor

@bluehost

If you don’t want to donate to Goodwill but have items that could be considered business-appropriate apparel, please consider donating to Dress for Success.

Esteemed Contributor

I called my local humane society and they came out about 3 weeks ago and picked up my stuff. I had clothes, furniture, kitchen stuff.