Valued Contributor

People have been saying now is not the time to acquire used clothing or buy it from Ebay or buy as - is either.  Makes sense.  Lots of people out there don't want to take the risk even when no one was sick.  

Esteemed Contributor

Do you have space where you can store them till things reopen fully?

I hate waste, so I would store somewhere in my home till I can get to the donation bin or schedule a pickup.  

I am the first to admit I find it a bit hard to throw things away though.  

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx  If you have a local neighborhood network....you could join and offer the clothes up for free. I see people do that all the time on my neighborhood network.

Respected Contributor

@Grouchomarx I put away winter clothes and got out summer stuff a few days ago.  Did a big purge.  Filled three bags with stuff for my daughter and grands to go through...those I will hang onto til I see them.

I don't have much storage in the apartment...,I tossed two bags of stuff I normally would have taken to Goodwill.  And have no guilt about it....these are not normal times.

Honored Contributor

I have stuff to take also, but i do wonder ,if they might be just throwing even good clothes away.Nothing i have is in bad shape ,all really good, clean.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

In 2017 - 11.2 million TONS of textile waste ended up in landfills.

It takes 200+ years for textiles to decompose in landfills.  (EPA)

We think what we donate is resold but it a very small %.

I don't know the situation in everyone's neck of the woods right now.

If you do donate to a shelter, please just don't toss everything into a trash bag.  Fold the clothes nicely and place in a box as you would like to have your clothes cared for if shopping.

And remember-nothing you would not wear yourself. (Ripped, buttons missing, etc.-y'all know the drill.)

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

This weekend I organized my wardrobe and purged a lot of stuff.  Three tall kitchen bags worth.  I put it in my car thinking I would drop it in one of those clothing donation bins only to find they are gone.  Should have figured but I was being optimistic.  Now I don't know what to do with these clothes.  I imagine these bins will be gone for a very long time and I don't have any room to store these bags inside my home (literally, no space).  I don't want to drive around with three huge bags of clothes, looking like I'm a living out of my car or something. What to do?  Just throw away?  There's some nice stuff in there, just too big on me now.

The bins have probably been removed temporarily.  Where I live people are kind of making messes where bins are located.  One of the stores have said to hold on to them until they reopen.  I am looking at a bag in my room now.  I will donate when stores open againSmiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Our donations centers are closed, and not staffed. I took have bags full of hardly used clothing that I just bagged after cleaning out my closets. The Big Brothers/Big Sisters Donation center in Massachusetts is closed - not scheduling any donations. It seems like MA and CT are very slow to open. I guess I'll hang on to them for a while.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

In 2017 - 11.2 million TONS of textile waste ended up in landfills.

It takes 200+ years for textiles to decompose in landfills.  (EPA)

We think what we donate is resold but it a very small %.

I don't know the situation in everyone's neck of the woods right now.

If you do donate to a shelter, please just don't toss everything into a trash bag.  Fold the clothes nicely and place in a box as you would like to have your clothes cared for if shopping.

And remember-nothing you would not wear yourself. (Ripped, buttons missing, etc.-y'all know the drill.)

Thank you for stating this.  I think some people think their trash can be donated.  When I was volunteering at a church I would help sort donations.  It was awful.  I teach my grandkids that when you donate you donate good stuff.  They help me sort when I donate.  I only donate clothes that I am tired of, nothing is wrong with them.  I have donated nice dresses and I have also purchased nice items from resale shops.  My last trip which was months ago I purchased two brand new logo tops.  Tags still on them.  

Honored Contributor

@germanshepherdlove wrote:

People have been saying now is not the time to acquire used clothing or buy it from Ebay or buy as - is either.  Makes sense.  Lots of people out there don't want to take the risk even when no one was sick.  

I have no problem buying as-is or stuff from e-bay.  I wash it anyway.  I just don't get this but I know a lot of people who think that way.