Respected Contributor

@bluehost wrote:

MY SUV has it's trunk full of "stuff", clothing, that no one wants. I think they are too nice for Goodwill, etc. So.........clothes are not something most want unless they are lightly worn, dry cleaned, on hangers and well known designer labels.

I suggest you toss. 

So you think your stuff is "too nice for Goodwill, etc." and suggest throwing it in the trash? You must be someone who takes soiled, worn out junk to Goodwill. They have to discard it because it's an insult to people who go there for clothing and home goods but you get a receipt to use as a deduction.

Honored Contributor

Re: Clothing donation/toss?

[ Edited ]

We have one local independent thrift store company with two locations here in town and just this past week they stated they were advertising for hiring new employees.  Very busy with all the donations and I am sure with sanatizing procedures. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Join the NextDoor app for your neighborhood, a message board similar to QVC's, and offer any castoffs for free.  Many people just leave freebies in their driveway and neighbors help themselves.

I got groceries at Walmart pick up yesterday.  I asked the boy to take the huge accumulation of plastic bags I had in the car, as I've always done.  He said they're no longer allowed to take them, so I guess they'll go in the landfill where they'll stay for the next 100 years.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Our local Goodwill is taking donations.  I haven't noticed if the yellow bins in various parking lots are gone or not. 

@Lipstickdiva    Our local Goodwill says people steal from the bins and sell the clothes at flea markets.  They've taken them away.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

A lot of The drop off boxes are for profit. Just be sure to read the sign if you're not familiar with the organization in question. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Join the NextDoor app for your neighborhood, a message board similar to QVC's, and offer any castoffs for free.  Many people just leave freebies in their driveway and neighbors help themselves.

I got groceries at Walmart pick up yesterday.  I asked the boy to take the huge accumulation of plastic bags I had in the car, as I've always done.  He said they're no longer allowed to take them, so I guess they'll go in the landfill where they'll stay for the next 100 years.

interesting @Kachina624 ......the grocery stores i shop at still have the plastic bag bins as you walk in.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

interesting @Kachina624 ......the grocery stores i shop at still have the plastic bag bins as you walk in.

@sunshine45 

So do the grocery stores around here.

Respected Contributor

the grocery stores that still collect plastic bags most likely just put them in with their trash    I use all of mine as waste can liners or for kitty litter.

Honored Contributor

We don't know what economic impact the virus will have in the long run. I'd hold onto things you spent so much money for. Prices on goods might be sky high for awhile and it might prove very costly to replace things. 

Honored Contributor

Ours reopened last week -- to a huge pile left alongside the trailer, including furniture, bikes, etc.

Ive been buy there a few times this week they had backup trucks loading it all.   Boy, we were busy during the stay at home days purging!!!