Esteemed Contributor

As several posters have noted, almost everything you donate is discarded for landfill.  Unless something is new/pristine or has some unique designer or style value.  Some vintage designer garments have value, but the bulk of everyday donated clothing is trashed or burned.

It's like daily recycling.   You may be the best source-separator in the world, but only about 10% of your plastic is actually recycled.  The balance is landfilled or incinerated.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

We have a goodwill that does a wonderful job of displaying so many very nice clothes. I found a glass just like the one I had broke but also saw many nice clothes arranged in color and type.

I would never donate any clothes that weren't washed and cleaned.

I don't know why people think clothes are trashed that people donate. Donate to where?

I guess if clothes are sent that are unwashed or very old etc they thrown out.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Clothing Donations

[ Edited ]

This includes the ultimate resting place of all clothing, including those "donated":

1. alec clothing pie chart rsz.jpg
Honored Contributor

The clothes I donate are always clean and no need to wash them again before taking them to donate. Cat Very Happy

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Valued Contributor

yes I do. I figure if I don't want to wear dirty clothes, no one else would either, regardless of their financial situation in life.

Honored Contributor

I would think homeless shelters ,would use clean ,lightly used clothing,if you can find one.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I've never donated clothes to Goodwill or places that will re-sale them.  Only because I didn't know where they were located.

I've donated to those big boxes in parking lots.  I figure it's worth it and if things end up being thrown out, that's a shame because something like a pair of nice fleece pajama tops and bottoms would feel good to someone who has no heat or keeps it so low their house is still cold.

I've been to countries where I've seen little girls and little boys with just shirts on, completely bare on their bottoms.  And the shirts were familiar to me as I'm sure that there was no *Justice* stores nearby.  So what little clothes these kids and the adults had on were definitely donated.

I've donated coats, hats and gloves that I've bought brand new for my grandkid's school and a car dealership we've bought vehicles from when they have coat drives.

I'll take the chance and continue to donate.

Last time I went to one of those boxes which was within the past two weeks, there were cans of food, pork and beans, soups, tomatoe sauces, etc. in a  huge stack shaped like a pyramid right next to the boxes.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I do.  And I don't donate anything that has tears, rips or stains.  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

If you have multiple big bags of them, washing them becomes too much of a burden, wear and tear on washer and dryer, lots of work.

I agree!  I can't imagine washing five large bags of clothing just to donate.  How long would that take?  How many wash loads not to mention the time involved?

Most likely depending on where you are donating it will end up at a thrift shop.  People who buy there would know to wash before wearing.

Yesterday I brought in three bags of clothing to a consignment shop in my area.  Items have to be in excellent condition and on hangers (hangers were peeking through the tops of the bags).  I like to make some money back if possible. I've been very successful with bringing in clothing to this shop in the past but one has to make an appointment first like most consignment shops.

Respected Contributor

I think it depends on where you donate your items. of course most people do not pick items out of thier dirty clothes hampers, instead out of items already laundered= closet /drawers. 

Goodwill & large places spray items with a type of insecticide before processing. A good reason to not skip laundering if you shop thrift stores. If donating to a church or shelter I definitely launder in a manner I would for my own use , as the people receiving these items do not have washers or $ for laundermats.

I think we all agree that if it is something we wouldn't wear because it has holes or beyond repair throw it out  or make a rag out of it. Personal fashion mistakes could be something someone else could use or want.