Esteemed Contributor

Re: Clothing Donations

[ Edited ]

@LuvSoCal wrote:

No, most of them still have their tags attached or have not been worn that much.  

Then of course, I wouldn't worry about washing them.  Tag new, never worn.  Good thing you're doing to donate these items too.  Very good thing.

Sorry.  I mistook you for the OP who is donating.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

If you have multiple big bags of them, washing them becomes too much of a burden, wear and tear on washer and dryer, lots of work.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

It might be a burden, however some places who will even bother to take clothing donations now will require they be cleaned for the purpose of resale or donation.

The vast majority of donated clothing goes in the landfill nowadays anyway.  They will go through the garments and decide what to discard and what to keep.  Worn garments will likely be tossed.  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

I know some donation places that won't accept clothing for people in the US will go ahead and ship them to poorer countries.  

A worn pair of pajamas or a 'reject' Under Armour shirt can be clothing for someone who has nothing at all to wear, in a third world country.

This kind of reminds me of what my DIL received one of the first years of her teaching Kindergarten in NYC.  When she returned to work from having a baby, one of her students gave her a present of a pair of Dora the Explorer pajamas that were about a size 4T and worn out. 

This was a gift for her newborn baby, my 1st granddaughter. Heart

Lots of times the kids showed up in school with the same outfits day after day.  And lots of times, they wore their pajamas underneath their clothes.

Teachers aren't allowed to give anything to the children, but sometimes teachers would leave bags on the front steps of the children's homes.  Filled with clothes and other necessities.

But out of respect for my fellow man, unwashed clothes are for washing or waxing the car, not for someone to wear.

Super Contributor

No. Whenever I purchase any clothing from a thrift or consignment store, I always wash the clothing before wearing. I do this for the entire household. The only exception is if the clothing is new with tags--most of the time. 

Honored Contributor

no

then end user will

Honored Contributor

If the clothes are clean, i.e., haven't been worn, I see no need to wash again.

Valued Contributor
Most clothing that's donated unfortunately ends up in a landfill. You think a donation center has the time, resources, or space to wash a strangers dirty or dusty/sitting in a closet for years clothes? It's easier to just toss in the dumpster. Same with underwear and socks. No matter the condition, it gets tossed.

People make themselves "feel good" by donating their castoffs. But think if what you're donating is something you'd personally buy in a resell store. If the answer is no, it's probably getting trashed. So you're basically making someone else dispose of your trash to make yourself feel good.
Honored Contributor

If they've been in storage yet, I'll wash them, but if they've been hanging in my closet, I don't.  

Respected Contributor

Yes, I always launder and neatly fold just as I would for myself.

Who knows, the person buying them might be headed to a job interview or to work. Wouldn't that be helpful to have a fresh outfit for the day?