Honored Contributor

My question, who bought all of these clothes, what was I thinking ?  I’m a more careful shopper these days, but , honestly some of these clothes are barely worn. At least maybe someone will enjoy them and get some use out of them. Sigh, 🤷‍♀️

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I have to do another closet purge too, @QVCkitty1 .  Bought several things lately from online clearance sales.....now I need to get rid of some stuff not being worn to make room for them.

Honored Contributor

I've already purchased my new things for Fall and beyond. I did lots of purging via charity donations last Summer and Fall. More to donate this year, and more to sell and have tailored.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I could have retired at 28 if I didn't buy clothes that I'll never wear.  LOL.  Instead I've chosen to work until I'm 83.  I purge and say never again.  Next time there are even more clothes I don't wear.  I'm a work in progress.

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

I could have retired at 28 if I didn't buy clothes that I'll never wear.  LOL.  Instead I've chosen to work until I'm 83.  I purge and say never again.  Next time there are even more clothes I don't wear.  I'm a work in progress.

@GCR18 , 🤣😆🤣

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I hurt my neck/upper back at the beginning of May and, without boring everyone with the details, have basically spent the summer wearing a pair of Talbots leggings and an oversized top. 

When I walk in my closet every day and see all the clothes, it overwhelms me a little. I think “WHY do I have SO many summer clothes (I’m ok with winter clothes)?   It’s kind of made me see things in a whole new light and has really curbed my clothing buying in the last few months. I hope that lasts.

I don’t want to take the clothes to consignment or donate them because I like them all but I seriously could live with about 10 tops, a few pairs of jeans and some leggings. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Re: Closet Purge

[ Edited ]

I found out something very disturbing to me when I asked my friend, who works at a place where they take clothes for donations, and my friend told me that they are so overwhelmed with clothes that they have no other choice but to send them to landfills. My friend told me nobody wants the clothes. Donation centers have become dumping grounds for clothes. A local consignment store here won't take anything not in season and they are very picky which ones they accept. Those unmanned dumpster-style box things you see next to some retail shops have been removed in my city. Not only were they for-profit entities, they also became a place for people to dump their unwanted stuff including non-clothing items. Those dumpsters were over-filled and things were getting strewn about so they were removed.

Honored Contributor

Re: Closet Purge

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee Reading this reminds me of how simple life can be.  We recently purchased an RV and I love putting a few well chosen comfy clothes together in preparation for excursions.  The challenge comes when you have diverse interests that requires specific clothing;

gym

meetings

RVing

motorcycles

tai chi

work

play

scuba

seasonal

and so on....

I've decided the best answer is to determine what activities dictate clothing options and restrict the items purchased for that activity,.  I'm now going through gym clothes and donating dozens of tops and tights.

I don't want to be a landfill donor and I'm seeking simplicity.  I am looking forward to having a functionally sparse closet that meets my needs and am pleased with the few selections offered,.

Honored Contributor

I know, I know!  I went through the same thing at the begining of the year!  I seriously could not believe all the clothing, shoes, etc. I had accumulated.  I always so enjoyed shopping and fashion and while I was working, I just thought nothing of buying new things constantly.  Now, I'm like --- seriously?  I donated a ton of things.  I still kept way too much for it's really hard to part with a lot of the beautiful things that I am enamored with! But I was happy knowing that people will get good out of so much stuff that I would no longer be using.

As you said, I rarely buy new things now and when I do, I am very careful and thoughtful.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I found out something very disturbing to me when I asked my friend, who works at a place where they take clothes for donations, and my friend told me that they are so overwhelmed with clothes that they have no other choice but to send them to landfills. My friend told me nobody wants the clothes. Donation centers have become dumping grounds for clothes. A local consignment store here won't take anything not in season and they are very picky which ones they accept. Those unmanned dumpster-style box things you see next to some retail shops have been removed in my city. Not only were they for-profit entities, they also became a place for people to dump their unwanted stuff including non-clothing items. Those dumpsters were over-filled and things were getting strewn about so they were removed.

interesting b/c "people" are doing more and more thrifting and re-selling