Esteemed Contributor

Closet Cleaning and origins of clothing I own

I buy for color and style.  I buy for price.  I am loaded with all kinds of clothes to wear.  I will admit that my "stock" was purchased from Walmart, Costco, Zulily, and QVC on clearance or AS IS.  Nothing really very expensive.  But for me if it looks good and feels good low pricing is not a negative for me.  

I am decluttering.  Time on my hands obviously.         

What I am finding is most  of my clothes are MADE IN CHINA.

I do think we could bring back production to the good old USA

I can remember when QVC sold clothes Made in the USA and used to be proud of it. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Closet Cleaning and origins of clothing I own

My Chinese-made clothing is mostly from QVC and a couple of catalogs.  It's very nice quality.  I've never lost a button or had a seam rip out.  It's attractive, I like the colors and get compliments on it.  Why would I pick it to donate?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I have a lot of Denim and Co., and I thought it was all made in China.  But I just checked the Denim & Co. top that I am wearing, and it was made in Sri Lanka.  I would be happy if more clothes were made here.  But that is going to take time to get plants up and running.  And the clothes will surely be more expensive.  It amazes me that things made in China and shipped all the way over here are still sold for less than they would be if made in the USA.  That goes for all sorts of products.  Of course US workers demand higher pay and better benefits, and that cost is passed on to the consumer.  People are already complaining about prices going up on QVC.  I don't know what the answer is.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was going to really clean closets and donate things. But I've noticed the donation boxes overflowing from people doing it. I doubt they are picking up items with the pandemic.

The prices will be higher and quality lower when  stores open. I can't get out until there's a vaccine or cure anyhow so will keep my old clothes that fit and nobody notices since I'm  hermit!

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips    Have you heard something about plans to manufacture clothing in the US?  I haven't heard of anyone interested in doing this.  It would be a huge undertaking for not a lot of profit

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are other more important things that should be manufactured in the USA like masks and pharmaceutical goods.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Puppy Lips    Have you heard something about plans to manufacture clothing in the US?  I haven't heard of anyone interested in doing this.  It would be a huge undertaking for not a lot of profit

Shoekitty said.  Correct there  no plans I know of  however, All my clothes in the last 5 years are made in USA,  the fabric, design, and sewing.  There are a couple pieces  fabric is made in Bangladesh understrict standards, and verified.   I pay a bit more, but worth it.  The fabric can be amazing.  No one is going open factories here.   If people really, really want  clothes made in USA quit shopping Walmart and QVC    People want clothes from USA but aren't willing to pay for it, or fight for it.   

Honored Contributor

The garment industry does not have a good track record with regard to wages and working conditions both in the United States and elsewhere. If you want to give people decent wages and acceptable working conditions it will cost a lot more. A LOT.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Try Fawbushs, Lisa the shop   Try brands likeChalet, comfy USA, Tulip, Prairie Underground, Abs by allenshwartz, Daira, ohMy Gauze, Cut Loose,and many more  brands.  I always go o sale.  I also buy end of season for next season.  I am wearing a spring dress today I bought last November for 70% off

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Designers, manufacturers, etc., deliberately choose 3rd world countries to make their goods because of extremely cheap and exploited labor, no safety and environmental laws, etc., resulting in higher profits for THEM.  They are just using the excuse that the goods are cheaper for the consumer if they manufacture off-shore.  But I believe that good quality consumer goods at reasonable prices could be manufactured here.  I don't believe their BS.

I doubt very much this will change unless the labor force in those countries rise up and fight for better working conditions, pay, etc., as Americans had to do.  If that happened, it would no longer be as profitable for them to manufacture in other countries so then maybe they'd bring the manufacturing operations back to our country.  

JMO, not meant to offend anyone.