Respected Contributor

Re: Closet Cleaning and origins of clothing I own

Lately I have been buying directly from China from aliexpress.  The prices are 1/3 to 1/2 US prices.

I like the styles and the choices.  While I am a L-XL here, in Chinese sizes I am a 3X-4X.

The clothes take so long to get here any germs are dead.

BTW, if given notice the sewers from the auto companies can do PPE.  In fact, some are doing it now.  Same with plastics and masks.  They just have to be told to do it.  Remember Detroit was a big supplier for WW2.

Respected Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

There are other more important things that should be manufactured in the USA like masks and pharmaceutical goods.

Which could be done by the stroke of a pen.

Honored Contributor

If you want cheaper, then don't complain about jobs here , that's why they went.  People complain, but when comes to actually supporting America  in what they buy, they don't.  Why would anyone buy directly from the Chinese  that means you cut out any American job.  😩😱

Respected Contributor

@DottieBlue wrote:

Designers, manufacturers, etc., deliberately choose 3rd world countries to make their goods because of extremely cheap and exploited labor, no safety and environmental laws, etc., resulting in higher profits for THEM.  They are just using the excuse that the goods are cheaper for the consumer if they manufacture off-shore.  But I believe that good quality consumer goods at reasonable prices could be manufactured here.  I don't believe their BS.

I doubt very much this will change unless the labor force in those countries rise up and fight for better working conditions, pay, etc., as Americans had to do.  If that happened, it would no longer be as profitable for them to manufacture in other countries so then maybe they'd bring the manufacturing operations back to our country.  

JMO, not meant to

A little hard to do when you live in a country with no

free speach laws and you are thrown in jail for

expressing your opinion .....

Respected Contributor

I buy directly from China because they are the factory of the world.  Just reality.

I do not wish low skill jobs on Americans.  We glorify the factories of yore.  In truth, many of those workers were worn out at 50.  Deaf, creeky, grumpy.

We have the ability to have skilled jobs for most.  We just have to adapt our education system.

Honored Contributor

All my jeans are American made.  I pay $150.00 rplus for the privilege..  And I do consider it a privilege.  Best made jeans in the world.  Only in denim does the U.S. have an advantage of making them here in factories.  Even British jean company like M.I.H. jeans are made in Los Angeles.  UK imports them back from the U.S. 

Not so with my other clothes.  I get what I can.  I got a few American made things.  Sweaters, etc that cost plenty. But for the most part skits, dresses, tops etc are made overseas.  They say import, so they can be from anywhere.