Respected Contributor

Cleaning Pleated Lamp Shades

I must admit, I have not been very vigilent cleaning (dusting) my lampshades.  Because we're still home-bound, I've found plenty of "cleaning" to do.  These blasted shades are a mess.  The top layer of dust has been removed, but silly me, I used a damp sponge and now any of the dust remaining shows up in little black spects of dust  You Tube says using Magic Eraser which I did, but it just took off the top layer.  Micro fiber cloths did nothing.  Is there a secret someone is willing to share for successful lamp shade cleaning.  PLEASE!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Cleaning Pleated Lamp Shades

@coffee drinker   Give your vacuum cleaner a try with the right narrow attachment.  Normally, a feater duster is good for lamp shades because it removes the dust but gently.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I used to use an old paint brush when we had pleated shades.

Are they fabric or the plasticy ones?

If they are the plastic type put them in the shower.

Honored Contributor

I don't know about pleated shades but they say lint rollers work well on shades in general.  As for myself, I use Scotch packaging tape if the dust is bad.  It works great.  Put a strip on the shade and then remove it, the dust comes off on the strip.

scotch.jpg

Honored Contributor

@coffee drinker 

If they are not plastic, Have you tried a handheld hairdryer on low to medium?  Perhaps the heat will dry everything out, and the air will blow it away...

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

Assume you are talking fabric?  Use low power on the vacuum with a long, soft bristled brush.  Often you have to buy this type of brush separately.  Once you have this kind of brush you will find a lot of uses.

Esteemed Contributor

I use my vacuum cleaner w/ attachments to go over my lamp shades.  I don't have any pleated shades anymore but that's what I did on the ones I used to have.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Occasional Contributor

For years now I have every spring I have washed them at kitchen sink.. I use dawn. make a suds in a large bowl and hold over sink. I use a soft brush and suds to wipe down the shade and rinse with spray. I use slightly warm water.  I then take them outside to patio and they dry there..I cannot remember where I read to do this..My shades are fabric...Kichen and great room all in one room so soiling a problem. I was worried first time I did this but first shade turned out so nice and clean that I just kept doing..My big shades I used bath tub.. and hand held sprayer..I decided I had to something or get new shades..I take several magazines so most likely read to do this in one of those.Good luck if you decde to do this..I remember I was worried but sure glad it worked for me..

Trusted Contributor

How about a Swiffer duster?  

Valued Contributor

I use a soft baby brush on my lampshades.