Respected Contributor

Re: Cleaned out my closet yesterday . . .

Ford, it sounds like you really got a lot done!

I purged a lot of my clothing a few years ago and continue to try and stay with limits on what I purchase. Just this past winter I was careful how many sweaters I purchased because I knew they would have to go into storage. Last winter's storage bill was almost $300.00 to have everything dry cleaned. I got rid of some winter coats this year and donated them so this year I have fewer to store. Only bought a few sweaters so I wouldn't have to store them either. I received a lot of great encouragement reading some of the threads on the Fashion Board regarding less is more...

Hope the move goes well and you love your new home!!Smile

Honored Contributor

On 3/2/2015 Marienkaefer2 said: lainey, we had the same experience with my grandparents three years ago. They kept EVERYTHING. It was overwhelming for us because my.mom is an only child, no other nearby relatives, and we lived on the other side of the country. I helped my mom. We had to do it all in three weeks so we could ready the house to sell. We had to hire some people to help. After that, it sure made me aware of the importance of not accumulating too.much.stuff.

When my aunt passed away 3 years ago, I needed to clean out her house. She saved EVERYTHING! And had collections of music boxes and other stuff.

I invited all my cousins over and about 20 showed up - some from hours away. I laid out everything they could take - and got rid of a lot of things that way. Some cousins took things that had personal meaning to them - like my aunt's hope chest. Others took practical items like TVs and the Keurig and vacuum cleaners.

We sold the house as an "estate sale" - as is. It was a 1960 modern ranch with Scandinavian teak built in modular furniture. It sold in 3 days to a bachelor in his 50s who even wanted the soup cans in the cupboards.

We may have gotten a little less - $5,000 below asking price - but he got a house complete with liquor, a full set of bar glasses, pots and pans, dishes, 2 TVs, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/2/2015 Lion said:

LOL I feel better after reading this thread. I guess my ""stuff"" that I need to clean out isn't so bad after all.

Oh it's bad We are just finding out we are not alone in our badness

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

I moved (literally across the street) 5 1/2 years ago. It appears I brought over canned goods that expired in 2009 - when I moved...what was I thinking!!!!

My son has been in LA for a few weeks. I used this opportunity to do my "grocery shopping" on my shelves and in my freezer.

I saved a ton of money and only had to buy fresh veggies, bread and almond milk.

Valued Contributor

No..My Mom kept EVERYTHING ...Seeing that growing up made me a minimalist..I am ALWAYS getting rid of things that serve lillte purpose...Nobody that has stopped can believe I have been here for 11 years... My only ( LOVE) ""clutter"" are my pets...
Fighting for them.( formerly EMTHeart)
https://www.facebook.com/ChicagoAnimalCareandControl/?hc_ref=ARQABXWGU0QxJ8S0etv9UWoAqEOZu1NXSKeSB0FeztlSRyGYWx17U1XqY_nz92D_IGQ

Honored Contributor

On 3/2/2015 SoftRaindrops said:

Ford, it sounds like you really got a lot done!

I purged a lot of my clothing a few years ago and continue to try and stay with limits on what I purchase. Just this past winter I was careful how many sweaters I purchased because I knew they would have to go into storage. Last winter's storage bill was almost $300.00 to have everything dry cleaned. I got rid of some winter coats this year and donated them so this year I have fewer to store. Only bought a few sweaters so I wouldn't have to store them either. I received a lot of great encouragement reading some of the threads on the Fashion Board regarding less is more...

Hope the move goes well and you love your new home!!Smile

I only wish I could have done more, SR. All I could do was sit in my chair while she held things up and say "yes" or "no." She's the one who did all the work. Now I can do some things, like paper shredding and getting rid of the junk and makeup. I will just bring all of my baskets to my bed and the box of trash bags and start throwing it all away.

Thank you, we are very lucky, it's a lovely apartment all on one floor, not even a step into the entrance . . . all flat. And it looks brand new because everything has been upgraded and replaced. We were so lucky to find that apartment, the realtors were doing absolutely nothing for us.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Regular Contributor

This thread made me laugh - today I wore a Jessica Holbrook quilted jacket (QVC vintage 1990's if any of you remember this brand) - probably the oldest item in my closet. It still looks good and if it didn't, it would have been in the donation bag a long time ago. My daily practice is if I put something on and, if at that moment, I don't like the way it fits, the color or any other dumb reason, it immediately goes in the donation bag. This method works well for me!

Valued Contributor

Congratulations, Ford! That is a big project! I hope you and your dd enjoy your new home, a fresh start.

Honored Contributor

Ford, that is a big job done, and I know you have to feel relieved!

Don't feel bad about the out of style clothing. I managed thrift stores for Goodwill Industry for about 15 years, and I can tell you, there is a market for clothing from all decades. Of course antique and vintage clothing is a great seller, but even things just a couple of decades old have buyers.

Some people like a style from the past, find it comfortable, and couldn't give a hoot about being current, they just want what they want.

Even in our small town here in Ohio, we have had some major motion pictures filmed (Shawshank Redemption being one) and the costuming people were scouring the area looking for things to use in the movies. Local theater groups are always looking for dated styles for productions and plays as well, so I'm sure your clothing will be put to use.

Moving can be so exciting, a time of starting new. Best wishes.

Honored Contributor

Considering that we wear 20% of our clothes 80% of the time, most of us probably don't need to be buying clothes. You can be very proud of yourself Ford, that was a great achievement.