Honored Contributor

As a musical score, I've always loved the music from Victory at Sea.

Honored Contributor

I trained in classical piano since I was 7 years old.  We were not allowed to play pop/rock/roll.  LOL  Guess who my teacher was.  (A  nun)

Yet this teacher taught me to truly listen to what the composer was "saying" through his composition.

I cannot name one composer or composition as a favorite.

Yet researchers have dubbed the benefits of listening to classical music as the "Mozart Effect"-it helps people perform tasks more efficiently.

There are many studies out there concluding that classical music is not only beneficial to the brain but to the whole person.  Let it take you where you find not only your relaxation spot but also where it opens up your peace.

Enjoy, everyone!

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal,

Maybe the first time I've seen anything mentioned about classical music so such another interesting topic!

My mother always listened to classical music and taught us different composers by playing them on records.(those things that our grandkids wouldn't know what they are!😄)

One of our favorites and I think soothing is Peter and the Wolf by Prokofiev. You hear many of the instruments in an orchestra featured to play the different characters in the story.

I have loved Chichester psalms ever since I first heard it-Leonard Bernstein (I idolized him).

Then though this is not really relaxing, more inspiring-one of my favorites is Stravinsky's Firebird suite.

When we would go on vacations with my father and, he would always be playing Living Strings-an orchestra way back in the day that played "easy listening" classical. I often thought if I hear one more Living Strings album!!😄Probably made us love popular and rock and roll and hard rock even more!

@kaydee50,

I kind of went through a similar musical journey-from growing up classical, then to country (maybe an opposite of classical turn),then anything Christmas, then to everything I liked no matter what genre.

I've often thought what would we do wthout music!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Classical music is amazing! 

I think I'm a Tchaikovsky girl, but I like so much of it.  Aside from older rock n roll type music, Classical is a favorite of mine over all.

Esteemed Contributor

Long ago someone gifted me a set of 13 versions of Ave Maria.

If you need a push, blast it and slow vacuum.  Av forward, e back....

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt,

I love all Tchaikovsky too! Music to dance toSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I love so much of it and it depends totally on my mood.  I took piano lessons for 11 years and thought about a music major, but wasn't cut out for that structured a life I think.   

I often listen to classical guitar, my favorite being "Sevilla" from Suite Espanola, Op. 47 by Isaac Albeniz.  I simply love that, and also Recuerdos por la Alhambra, by Francisco Tárrega. And many many others.

Symphonies, chamber music, so much to choose from! I like opera too sometimes. Piano?  I love to play pieces from the Baroque and Classical periods and that takes me to another place when I play.  I have small hands, so tend toward things that suit me better and the complicated patterns I love to help me focus.  

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

Love classical music.  I only listen to WFMT.FM here in Chicago.  Mendelssohn's violin concerto is one of my favorites.   And just about anything by Beethoven.  The station also plays some Eric Satie which I find very relaxing.  

My taste in music has envolved.  Prior to my 30s, always listened to rock and roll.  Then I moved on to country western.  Now my choice is classical.  Find it very soothing.

The radio program, "Exploring Music with Bill McGlaughlin" is from WFMT in Chicago! - I love that program.  As you mentioned, for me too, my taste in music also has evolved.  My radio station is Classical 24 (which is 89.3 on the FM dial and it is classical24 dot org online). Happy listening. 
Honored Contributor

Another tip o' the hat to Antonio Vivaldi and a big shout-out to Tomaso Albinoni.

His Adagio in G minor makes me weep. Heart

Ah, the Baroque period...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

My favorites are Chopin, Beethoven and Mozart.  My all time favorite piece is Chopin's "Raindrop" prelude, Op. 28 No. 15.  I love the way it starts off in a pensive sort of way and then builds in intensity and then takes you back down.  I just love this piece.