Valued Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Clark Howard about debit cards.

@Maggie Nolia 

Great article to share Maggie, one that users of debit cards need to be aware of.  I don't even use my debit card at my banks ATM, I use my phone.  Gas stations are one of the worst places to use debit or credit cards.  I use a gas card only. (or cash rarely).  Newer pumps are equipped for use with phones.  There are many payment options available for every type of smart pnone that can help make yoy credit/debit transaction more secure.  (my professional life was in the crediit card industry)  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We quit using our debit card after our account was compromised about two years ago. We use a designated credit card with reward points for every purchase thoughout the month....groceries...everything. We pay it of each month.  It is much better and safer. 

Honored Contributor

We don't have a debit card, never will.  I write paper checks and use a credit card.

Honored Contributor

We always use a credit card not debit. However, our banks atm cards are debit. 

QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

PLEASE, I don´t want anyone to try and tell me why i shouldn´t use a Debit Card, STOP.

If i need Checks, I buy three checks from my Bank  at a time when ever I need them

Honored Contributor

I use my Debit card a lot and will continue to do so.  I use it wisely.

• My Credit Union pays me cash back every time I use it.
  • I get an e-mail every time it is used.  
  • I do not allow money to be transferred from savings into checking if there is not enough money to cover a point of sale purchase.
  • I do not keep a lot of money in my account, just what I need for spending money.
  • If I do an online purchase, I use PayPal, so my card info is not given out

Thankfully, there are no forgetting to pay my cc bill each month, and no late fees 

I always check to make sure there is no added equipment on any ATM or gas stations before I use my card. Yes, I am that crazy lady who pulls on the card cover to see,if it is loose or misaligned.

I have never had a breach.  My DH who only uses credit cards and checks  has had three breaches on his Credit Cards and had to work with the Credit Union go get his money returned.

I do use CC for some purchases, only when I know I might have to return or if my CC offers a warranty on the product or some other reason that will benefit me.

Trusted Contributor

I have a debit card and I use it everwhere.  I will admit that yes my account was compromised, however the bank refunded everything 24 hours later (over $600).  If you are with a good bank with a good fraud department you are fine.  

I don't buy what is being said in this article. I trust paying with my Debit card over paying with my phone anyday.

Respected Contributor

I never use my debit card for purchases. I only use it at my bank’s ATM. I’ve never had a problem and don’t want one.

It’s great to be aware of possible negative consequences but seldom is a single approach toward anything right for everyone.