Honored Contributor

City of Chicago to tax cloud and streaming services

Chicago has instituted a new tax on cloud and streaming services.

Apparently from the articles I have read, this came as a big surprise to everyone including cloud and streaming service providers as they are not quite clear as to how this impacts them.  It also causes a rather hostile environment environment to tech companies, something Chicago is trying to court.

I weep for my state.

sigh.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: City of Chicago to tax cloud and streaming services

Reminds me of that Beatles song "if you walk I'll tax your feet".

Honored Contributor

I'll bet lots of other states will stampede to get this tax. I weep for us all

Super Contributor

Chicago will soon tax how many steps you take on a one-block sidewalk.

Chicago is home to "Crook" County (oh sorry, I meant Cook County.....)

I just got my second installment real estate tax bill due August 8.  Homeowners pay  in 2 installments/year.  The first installment was due in March 2015.

"Crook" County can't even wait a full 6 months to demand 2nd installment of tax payment.

ALL politicos in Chicago are corrupt - Mayor Emanuel included.  It's the "way to do business" here so it's no surprise that they will tax Cloud and streaming services -- more money in their pockets.

Honored Contributor

I was wondering how long it would take to start this and then to begin with 9%  . . . oy!

Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

I was wondering how long it would take to start this and then to begin with 9%  . . . oy!

Wow, that is a lot. I haven't read about this yet. I need to google it.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

@chi5925 wrote:

Chicago will soon tax how many steps you take on a one-block sidewalk.

Chicago is home to "Crook" County (oh sorry, I meant Cook County.....)

I just got my second installment real estate tax bill due August 8.  Homeowners pay  in 2 installments/year.  The first installment was due in March 2015.

"Crook" County can't even wait a full 6 months to demand 2nd installment of tax payment.

ALL politicos in Chicago are corrupt - Mayor Emanuel included.  It's the "way to do business" here so it's no surprise that they will tax Cloud and streaming services -- more money in their pockets.

In 2006 officially moved a few miles southwest of Chicago.  DH is a retired city worker.  The first chance we got, we moved.  Now, T. Preckwinkle is shooting for the 10% county sales tax that her predecessor was nearly lynched for.  The pensions are so....underfunded, DH and I pray our pension will remain safe.

I always joke to friends that our state, city and county has the best politicians money can buy.

They are fighting downstate with the new Governor and Madigan/Cullerton and they are now on break BUT...they want to continued to get paid.  The legislatures make anywhere from 60 to 80k a year!!!

We have a place in Az. and it is our goal to leave this Godforsaken state soon.

BTW ~ we got our tax bill yesterday and believe it or not, it went down by a couple of hundred dollars.  We do get a seniors exemption but I have a feeling we'll get a huge increase in the fall.

Honored Contributor

Gooday, I'll be interested in seeing how this all plays out especially between Rahner and Madigan.  This nonsense has to stop.  This state can't take much more.

Super Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Reminds me of that Beatles song "if you walk I'll tax your feet".

Just another "fee" under the guise of a tax added on.  And the Beat goes On........Oh that's another song!  Lol!

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

Gooday, I'll be interested in seeing how this all plays out especially between Rahner and Madigan.  This nonsense has to stop.  This state can't take much more.

I am so with you! I sure don't know what the answers are but, it REALLY is getting worse.

Do you live in the city or in a suburb?