Honored Contributor

Re: Cicadas starting to wind down

[ Edited ]

I'm glad to hear they are winding down at last.  And, in a related development, news coverage of cicadas is also dying down - thankfully.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@songbird wrote:

@KingstonsMom   There are worse things.  In Australia they have a plague of toads.  Millions of them hopping and hopping.  I wold go mad.  Australia has tremendous heat and very obnoxious creatures all around.  Deadly snakes too.  Can you imagine millions of toads coming to your neighborhood?

@songbird 

So true!

I always thought that my dream vacation would be a trip to Australia, until I read up on all of the deadly and HUGE creatures!

If I ever ran into a Huntsman spider, I'd die of a heart attack!

Australian Huntsman Spider A large Australian Huntsman spider huntsman spider stock pictures, royalty-free photos & images

@KingstonsMom @songbird  It's amazing that my family has lived in Australia for over 30 years and haven't had these plagues where they live. Australia is a big country with many different climates.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

I guess I don't get all the antipathy. To me, them showing up like clock work every seventeen years or so is one of the wonders of nature. They're harmless. Where I live, they are clearly winding down and while they are a bit invasive and the noise can be a bit off-putting, I'll sort of miss them when they're gone, knowing I might or might not see them show up again. We have regular summer cicadas every year and their 'music' sort of signifies the season, but these mass influxes are, to me, sort of interesting and are a somewhat amazing freak of nature.

@stevieb 

Yes, an interesting phenomenon of nature....  what I dont understand are these newscasters that INSIST on trying them as something to be sure add to one's daily diet.....🤢

@Spurt  Oh that one's easy... They're 'news' casters and they're idiots...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

I guess I don't get all the antipathy. To me, them showing up like clock work every seventeen years or so is one of the wonders of nature. They're harmless. Where I live, they are clearly winding down and while they are a bit invasive and the noise can be a bit off-putting, I'll sort of miss them when they're gone, knowing I might or might not see them show up again. We have regular summer cicadas every year and their 'music' sort of signifies the season, but these mass influxes are, to me, sort of interesting and are a somewhat amazing freak of nature.

@stevieb 

Yes, an interesting phenomenon of nature....  what I dont understand are these newscasters that INSIST on trying them as something to be sure add to one's daily diet.....🤢

@Spurt  Oh that one' easy... They're 'news' casters and they're idiots...

For exploitation, nothing else.  They do this without fail anytime Brood X comes out.  The recipe is always the same (with any insect) to cook with a bit of Olive oil.  Rinse off dirt from bug.  Chop onions & celery & brown, throw in bugs.  Remember to cover, these bugs will try to fly.  As you are cooking them alive. Fry for 5 to 8 minutes.  Don't have to drain.  Bugs have protein.  Nothing else.  No fat. 

Valued Contributor

Here in Northern VA the Brood X cicadas are big-time. I love it. Interesting to gently ponder if I'll be around in 17 years for the next cycle: seize the day!
Honored Contributor

Fortunately Brood X comes around only once in 17 years.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@stevieb 

@stevieb 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@stevieb 

For exploitation, nothing else.  They do this without fail anytime Brood X comes out.  The recipe is always the same (with any insect) to cook with a bit of Olive oil.  Rinse off dirt from bug.  Chop onions & celery & brown, throw in bugs.  Remember to cover, these bugs will try to fly.  As you are cooking them alive. Fry for 5 to 8 minutes.  Don't have to drain.  Bugs have protein.  Nothing else.  No fat. 

@songbird 

I think Ill pass....🤢🤮

\

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@stevieb 

@songbird  Yep, anything for an alleged 'story', no matter how imbecilic...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...