Honored Contributor

Re: Cicadas starting to wind down

They are not winding down in my part of Maryland.  

Regular Contributor

I live just outside of Louisville, KY and the cicadas right around our house on the Ohio River have been extremely loud for about the past week, but it was not quite as noticable yesterday.  They seem to be on a schedule of sorts - very loud in the mid to late afternoon and then it's almost like a switch is flipped and silence arrives shortly before the sun goes down.  I've yet to actually see them.

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Wish they were gone already, but they are starting to die.  Lots of dead cicadas underfoot.  The noise is diminished, but some stragglers are still flying (or trying to fly) around.  I have to sweep the walkway and drive way everyday.  I think (not sure) they will be gone by late June or early July.  My husband saw a cicada fly upside down! Like a hummingbird.  No major goofs with the cicadas.  Only once when I went to get the mail (a package) hitched a ride on it. And was sitting quietly on my bed while I unknowingly opened the package.  Picked it up and flushed it down the toilet.  God will punish me....

@songbird 

Here's something funny -----  NFL teams held minicamps this week, and a cicada got caught in the beard of my team's quarterback, Ryan Fitzpatrick....LOL

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird wrote:

@haddon9  I'm in Maryland.  The state was hit hard.  Although I've been told the epic center was eastern TN.  I"m used to them now.  They were fun as a kid, but obnoxious now.  I hate sweeping the walkway, but I have to.  Every morning more dead bodies.

@songbird 

In South Texas, we have a different kind of cicada that come out in the heat of summer and "serenade" us.

but not a lot of them at all..

Texas Cicada--

download.jpg

But we heared about the hoards of cicadas in some parts of the U.S.....

Brood X Cicada--

860_main_cicada_wings-800x422.png

We have a similar situation with hoards of crickets every fall....they are everywhere---they cause slick roadways when cars run over the plethora of them in the streets,  they are all over the sides of homes and buildings and sidewalks....and you see people sweeping up piles of them...........YUCCKKK!!!

5609690_101019-cc-accuwx-crickets-texas-vid.jpg

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I didn't know if it was wishful thinking, but our population has diminished quite a bit in the last day or two.  

Their high-decibel mating buzz sounds like that of a normal summer's brood, and I do not see so many flying around. 

Our local meteorologist has predicted that Brood X should be out of here July 4-ish.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

I used to live in LA and I remember one year when Las Vegas was covered in hordes of crickets (and their bodies) and they were BIG suckers!

So gross, they'd get caught in people's hair, clothes and as you said, made driving pretty treacherous due to 'slick; roads.

It was surmised that it was breeding time and they were attracted by all of the lights.

We went back to LA immediately, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Spurt 

I used to live in LA and I remember one year when Las Vegas was covered in hordes of crickets (and their bodies) and they were BIG suckers!

So gross, they'd get caught in people's hair, clothes and as you said, made driving pretty treacherous due to 'slick; roads.

It was surmised that it was breeding time and they were attracted by all of the lights.

We went back to LA immediately, LOL!

@KingstonsMom 

LOL I dont blame you for moving... These crickets in no way resemble Jimmy Cricket.....and they are awful....I added a photo to my post....ARRRGGGHHH!!! 

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

We didn't move to LV, we just went for a fun weekend, little did we know that the 'fun' would be tryin' to outrun those beasts, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Spurt 

We didn't move to LV, we just went for a fun weekend, little did we know that the 'fun' would be tryin' to outrun those beasts, LOL!

@KingstonsMom 

Okay...understood....😊 not part of a fun Vegas weekend for sure

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@songbird wrote:

Wish they were gone already, but they are starting to die.  Lots of dead cicadas underfoot.  The noise is diminished, but some stragglers are still flying (or trying to fly) around.  I have to sweep the walkway and drive way everyday.  I think (not sure) they will be gone by late June or early July.  My husband saw a cicada fly upside down! Like a hummingbird.  No major goofs with the cicadas.  Only once when I went to get the mail (a package) hitched a ride on it. And was sitting quietly on my bed while I unknowingly opened the package.  Picked it up and flushed it down the toilet.  God will punish me....

@songbird 

Here's something funny -----  NFL teams held minicamps this week, and a cicada got caught in the beard of my team's quarterback, Ryan Fitzpatrick....LOL

@Spurt... I'm sure lots of things get caught in that nasty looking mess... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...