Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Cicadas starting to wind down

Wish they were gone already, but they are starting to die.  Lots of dead cicadas underfoot.  The noise is diminished, but some stragglers are still flying (or trying to fly) around.  I have to sweep the walkway and drive way everyday.  I think (not sure) they will be gone by late June or early July.  My husband saw a cicada fly upside down! Like a hummingbird.  No major goofs with the cicadas.  Only once when I went to get the mail (a package) hitched a ride on it. And was sitting quietly on my bed while I unknowingly opened the package.  Picked it up and flushed it down the toilet.  God will punish me....

Respected Contributor

Re: Cicadas starting to wind down

I expected to see some but we haven’t seen any cicadas here.  When I was a child we used to look for their shells that they shed on trees.  It was like a treasure hunt. 😁

Honored Contributor

Ugh!  I'm glad they are not around me....we've been here for 29 years and they just aren't in my area of southeastern PA.  However I can remember how loud and disgusting they were when we lived in south Jersey.

What part of the country are you in?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@haddon9  I'm in Maryland.  The state was hit hard.  Although I've been told the epic center was eastern TN.  I"m used to them now.  They were fun as a kid, but obnoxious now.  I hate sweeping the walkway, but I have to.  Every morning more dead bodies.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in central NJ.  I had a doctor's appointment in Princeton the other day.   I got out of the car at the office, and I couldn't believe the sound.  I live around 12 miles away and we don't hear them here, but yesterday when I went south to shop a few miles south, I did hear them.  

I guess they're on their way here.  I'm not happy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird    Which is going to be worse, the din of singing cicadas or the underfoot crunch of dead ones?

It's really strange the way they inhabit some areas but aren't found in close-by similar areas.  We don't have them here in Albuquerque but they were terrible when I lived in dry, arid West Texas. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I live in the deep south of coastal GA and we don't have any here either.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

Southern Ct. here..haven't seen or heard  any.

Honored Contributor

I am in MD too, plenty of them here and the noise is deafening even with windows closed. Songbird, where are you, I am in Balto Co. 

Respected Contributor

They're just starting to emerge in the Southeastern part of my State....ugh.