Respected Contributor

Re: Cicadas ground WH Press Plane

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Mersha wrote:

@novamc1 wrote:

I lived hru two 17-year cicada cycles in a DC suburb, and I don't envy anyone dealing with them now.

My best effort at describing the noise they make is to compare it to a science fiction movie sound track.  Kind of eerie, especially at night.

@novamc1   Yes, they scream all night and you hear their bodies smashing into your windows. Smiley Sad

Cicada Insect News, Facts, Life Cycle, Photos & Sounds | Cicada Mania

Do they sound like crickets?  

@Lucky Charm   No, they do not sound like crickets.  It is more a swell of buzzing and then they hit a high crescendo.  Then that process goes 24/7.

You cannot stay in your backyard with the noise and flying.  We are having outdoor graduations due to covid and they are terrorizing everyone.  They get in your hair, clothes, shoes...YUCK.

My poor dog is traumatized.  Several have hit her in the face and she is frightened to go outside.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Witchy Woman,

I posted a YouTube video of local meteorologist Doug Kammerer eating his "gourmet" cicada chili dog on another Community QVC thread.  That Doug is such a good sport!

As a resident of a highly forested Northern Virginia suburb, I am in the thick of the maddening mating ritual of the Brood X cicadas.  A contractor arrived at my home yesterday, and as he entered my door he uttered, "Boy, this is Cicada City."  He was referring to my particular area in this insect-infested segment of the affected area.  I've hit the jackpot for cicada presence, I guess.

My niece had said the same thing a week before. 

You walk outside and they bump into you.  There can be at least 8 to 10 buzzing around you in any path you take to go somewhere.  Several times they almost flew into my car window, so I try to keep the windows shut.

Carcasses are all over the place!  They mate and then die not too long after. 

This is my third time experiencing them and very likely my last time.  For that reason, I've become a bit more philosophical when I think of the pattern of their cycling through our lives.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

THEY ARE AS LOUD AS A ROCK BAND

NBC4 Washington

A local musician recorded the sounds of the cicadas and found they are just as loud as a rock band. News4’s Mark Segraves reports he also determined the key of their mating call.

Much of the D.C. region has listened to the cicadas for weeks now — some have even eaten them.  But one local man recorded their sounds to determine the key of their mating call.

Before he retired about a year-and-a-half ago, Bob Grimes spent more than 30 years as the production manager for the music venue Barns at Wolf Trap.

An expert in sound and lighting, Grimes is also a musician, which gives him a particular set of skills to answer the question: What key is the cicada mating call?

"Every tone has a frequency to it. That’s all notes are is vibrations," Grimes said.

With the help of modern technology, Grimes figured out the frequency.

"It’s been very consistent. It’s the murmur you hear is 1.3 kilohertz which is E at the sixth position on the piano," he said.

"There was an overtone that developed over the past couple weeks that was topping out at an F sharp. So, if you combine those two tones that puts you in kind of an E minor scale."

He's also tracking how loud the cicadas get. The loudest so far: 97 decibels.

"When I was hitting 97 db average was at about 101 db, which is as loud as a rock band."

Grimes pointed out that in many places 97 decibels is against the law.

"They're breaking the law, but, you know, they're paying for it with their lives," he joked.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ok I think they are beautiful and this is a phenomenon because they have been doing this since the dinosaur age. Pretty impressive to me considering the damage humans have done to Mother Earth. With that said, I live on the Eastern Shore of MD and we don't have the Brood X here because they cannot burrow into the sandy soil. However, my family lives in Baltimore City and they are innundated with them. My sister has been dodging them for the past week and they hitch a ride on her clothes when she walks from car to building. We are riding up next week and taking grandkids to see them. 

Dive, dive, dive...

And by the way, they love the sound and vibrations of lawn tools...mower, blower, trimmer and will swarm so just be warned!

Respected Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Witchy Woman,

I posted a YouTube video of local meteorologist Doug Kammerer eating his "gourmet" cicada chili dog on another Community QVC thread.  That Doug is such a good sport!

As a resident of a highly forested Northern Virginia suburb, I am in the thick of the maddening mating ritual of the Brood X cicadas.  A contractor arrived at my home yesterday, and as he entered my door he uttered, "Boy, this is Cicada City."  He was referring to my particular area in this insect-infested segment of the affected area.  I've hit the jackpot for cicada presence, I guess.

My niece had said the same thing a week before. 

You walk outside and they bump into you.  There can be at least 8 to 10 buzzing around you in any path you take to go somewhere.  Several times they almost flew into my car window, so I try to keep the windows shut.

Carcasses are all over the place!  They mate and then die not too long after. 

This is my third time experiencing them and very likely my last time.  For that reason, I've become a bit more philosophical when I think of the pattern of their cycling through our lives.  

@golding76   I did not realize you were in N. Va.  I am in Montgomery County in MD.

There are a lot of people here from the DC Metro area.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

They're even grosser when they turn into zombies:

Zombie Cicada - oh my! (UPDATED) - tropicalbats.com

They fall apart piece by piece while they're still walking around.

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@skatting44 

I'm in Southern Maryland on the border of Charles and St. Mary's Counties....and haven't seen ONE cicada (thank goodness!)

I know they are harmless, but they are just so darned big and creep me out!  Those red eyeballs!

Yikes!

head a little further north in Md and  they will fly around your head to greet you . Being outside is  near impossible. I do have alot of  wooded area  around me .

Respected Contributor

@faeriemoon   Those ****** shells are all over my yard, trees, flowers and shrubbery after the cicada crawls out of them.

...and they SMELL!

Esteemed Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

I lived thru two 17-year cicada cycles in a DC suburb, and I don't envy anyone dealing with them now.

My best effort at describing the noise they make is to compare it to a science fiction movie sound track.  Kind of eerie, especially at night.

Yea, they kinda sound like the  noise  in the movie every time Jason shows up to  attack someone in those  Friday the 13th movies .

Esteemed Contributor

@golding76 

Yes, it was Doug I was referring to.  We are faithful Channel 4 watchers...especially the weather since my husband is a builder.

I had to leave the room and couldn't watch the segment.  He is a good sport, as I would NEVER have agreed to do such a thing knowing I would get sick on camera.

My husband kept watching the map for when they would arrive and told me they were going to miss our area.

I'm so thankful.  I grew up in Southern Illiniois and seems we had these bugs all summer long every summer....although not swarms of them.  Their sound was more of a gentle buzz, not like it is now!

I will be glad when they are gone, and I'm sure everyone else will be too.