Honored Contributor

I too am curious to see how things will change.  I never did the "kiss of peace" handshake and don't care if people think I'm rude.  A friendly smile is enough.  We don't "pass the basket".  An usher has a long handled basket that he/she holds.  Communion is given in the hand.  And no one hands out bullletins.  It's help yourself.

But I wonder how many people will actually return to church.  Personally, I will be skipping Sunday mass for quite some time.  The church gets crowded and there is no way to keep "social distancing."  I will however attend mass during the week when the church is much emptier.  

Regardless, should be interesting.

Honored Contributor

Re: Church changes

[ Edited ]

[I found this online.  Well, the Greek Orthodox Church is being challenged for its practices.  Listen, if the Catholics and the Eastern Orthodox have not been able to mend their schism from 1056 (?), I predict things will not be changed.]  

As religious leaders bend the rules to comply with government and health officials working to stop the spread of the coronavirus pandemic, some commonly held practices are being called into question.

In Australia, the country's medical association (AMA) said Greek Orthodox churches are putting their believers at risk by using the same spoon for hundreds of congregants to sip wine during communion — but the archdiocese disagrees.

"We believe that no disease or illness can exist in Holy Communion, which we believe is the body and blood of Christ," Reverend Scoutas said.

While a spokesperson for the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia said anyone showing signs of illness should stay home, he explained they believe in the effectiveness of the Holy Communion.

"But once we decide to go to church, we believe there is absolutely no possibility of contracting (the) disease from the holy cup," he said.

AMA associate professor Julian Rait notes the spoon could spread saliva, and therefore, coronavirus, among congregants.

"I would doubt very much their faith would provide the protection they believe," Rait told CBS News.

[Another one showing the traditionalists are not going to budge.]

https://www.rferl.org/a/coronavirus-vs-the-church-orthodox-traditionalists-stand-behind-the-holy-spo...

Valued Contributor

I worry about the financials myself, @walker . We can mail in our tithes and offerings or we can give electronically as well. But with some being out of work and things so uncertain, it's tough for the churches. I know our church is financially hurting already as they had to let 2 people on staff go just a week ago.

Having said that though, I think that they still need to take their time and make sure we are safe. But yeah, we are all going to be wanting to run when we hear someone cough. And heaven help us if WE start on a coughing fit! Have you ever noticed when one person starts coughing, several follow? I have noticed that before. You get just a little tickle in your throat and you don't want to cough because it's so quiet but someone coughs and then someone else does and you think, what the heck, so you let your cough out too? Smiley LOL Well, it might just be me but I have done that. But I seriously will be afraid to let out the tiniest cough in church, even if it's something I know is just a tickle in my throat. Nobody else realizes that! We will all be tacking one another to get out the door! It's going to be fun.

Valued Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

[I found this online.  Well, the Greek Orthodox Church is being challenged for its practices.  Listen, if the Catholics and the Eastern Orthodox have not been able to mend their schism from 1056 (?), I predict things will not be changed.]  

As religious leaders bend the rules to comply with government and health officials working to stop the spread of the coronavirus pandemic, some commonly held practices are being called into question.

In Australia, the country's medical association (AMA) said Greek Orthodox churches are putting their believers at risk by using the same spoon for hundreds of congregants to sip wine during communion — but the archdiocese disagrees.

"We believe that no disease or illness can exist in Holy Communion, which we believe is the body and blood of Christ," Reverend Scoutas said.

While a spokesperson for the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia said anyone showing signs of illness should stay home, he explained they believe in the effectiveness of the Holy Communion.

"But once we decide to go to church, we believe there is absolutely no possibility of contracting (the) disease from the holy cup," he said.

AMA associate professor Julian Rait notes the spoon could spread saliva, and therefore, coronavirus, among congregants.

"I would doubt very much their faith would provide the protection they believe," Rait told CBS News.

[Another one showing the traditionalists are not going to budge.]

https://www.rferl.org/a/coronavirus-vs-the-church-orthodox-traditionalists-stand-behind-the-holy-spo...

That's scary, @golding76 ! I'm of Protestant faith so we do things differently. We don't share any cups or spoons or anything. But definite changes need to be made for all of us during this time of coming back together, whenever that should happen. We need to be realistic. Truthfully, if I was told this was how it would be, I would stay home and continue to worship online. I have faith but I believe we were given common sense too! We can't just go back to how things were right now.

Esteemed Contributor

@Qgirl26 wrote:

I worry about the financials myself, @walker . We can mail in our tithes and offerings or we can give electronically as well. But with some being out of work and things so uncertain, it's tough for the churches. I know our church is financially hurting already as they had to let 2 people on staff go just a week ago.

Having said that though, I think that they still need to take their time and make sure we are safe. But yeah, we are all going to be wanting to run when we hear someone cough. And heaven help us if WE start on a coughing fit! Have you ever noticed when one person starts coughing, several follow? I have noticed that before. You get just a little tickle in your throat and you don't want to cough because it's so quiet but someone coughs and then someone else does and you think, what the heck, so you let your cough out too? Smiley LOL Well, it might just be me but I have done that. But I seriously will be afraid to let out the tiniest cough in church, even if it's something I know is just a tickle in my throat. Nobody else realizes that! We will all be tacking one another to get out the door! It's going to be fun.

Or, how about having seasonal allergies, or a bit of dust tickles your nose and you have to sneeze?

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Trusted Contributor

They will have to limit how many people can be inside the church at one time.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Trusted Contributor

I'm non-religious but I used to be a believer and KNOW that they'll pass the collection plate but will probably put a new spin on it. You'll probably have to dump your envelope in a box with a slit on top.

Honored Contributor

Our church has a link to Mass online each week.  St. Patrick's streams Sunday Mass on their website.  EWTN has daily and Sunday Mass..  On Facebook and Twittter there are streaming Masses from the Vatican and parishes all over the US.

Our various ministry and parish meetings are being held via Zoom.  Aside from our ministries, we're friends and are in regular email contact.  

Donations are online or mailed in.

Our parish website has links for prayer requests, requests for assistance, etc.,  Regular messages from our priests.

Other than actual Mass attendance ... things seem to be moving along really well.

Tomorrow is first Friday and an organization I belong to is streamng Mass at Noon.

Saturday is first Saturday - and we are doing a Rosay via Zoom.

Like I said .... other than presence at Mass ... we're doing okay.  

In addition - there are lots of Catholc resources online. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Church changes

[ Edited ]

Qgirl126,

Thank heavens I have a diverse religious background, but I have been a Greek Orthodox Christian from the time of my baptism and chrismation (that occurred the same time -- when I was six months old).

However, I grew up in a small town that, when I was young, did not have a Greek Orthodox Church.  Since weekly attendance at Sunday School and Church were non-negotiables in our parents' home, my brother and I attended Protestant churches on a weekly basis and attended Greek Orthodox Liturgy on the "High Holy Days."  We typically went to the church in Baltimore, Md.

So, I very early on attended Episcopal Sunday School and church, but as we grew, we wanted to attend church with the neighborhood kids.  So, for our truly formative years, my brother and I attended Sunday School and church at the Grace Reformed Church.  Wherever we went, I was satisfied.

When I married and settled in Northern Virginia, I was able to attend Greek Orthodox services weekly.  Older now and not wanting to drive far, I started attending services at my local Catholic Church, and I have enjoyed that very much.  It isn't as though I stopped attending services at my church, but about two years ago it was obvious that I was attending Mass at the Catholic Church more often than attending Liturgy at my Greek Orthodox Church.  So, I do have a place to go, but in my heart, I will always be a Greek Orthodox Christian. 

I truly hate that I will probably have to stop attending my church, though.  I know they won't change.

I am able to continue live-streaming my church's services, but it just is not the same as being there in person.

Honored Contributor

Better have people sit a lot farther apart. And probably no singing.

GIF shows how a cough on an airplane can spread the deadly ...

It's a graphic of how a cough spreads virus droplets on an airplane. Social distancing.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr