Honored Contributor

Re: Church changes

[ Edited ]

Porcelain,

You are right about the singing.  Remember that choir in Washington state early on in the pandemic?

Several choir members died and many fell ill.  The experts concluded that the choir opened up their lungs wide for singing and became more susceptible to the coronavirus. 

Esteemed Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Qgirl126,

Thank heavens I have a diverse religious background, but I have been a Greek Orthodox Christian from the time of my baptism and chrismation (that occurred the same time -- when I was six months old).

However, I grew up in a small town that, when I was young, did not have a Greek Orthodox Church.  Since weekly attendance at Sunday School and Church were non-negotiables in our parents' home, my brother and I attended Protestant churches on a weekly basis and attended Greek Orthodox Liturgy on the "High Holy Days."  We typically went to the church in Baltimore, Md.

So, I very early on attended Episcopal Sunday School and church, but as we grew, we wanted to attend church with the neighborhood kids.  So, for our truly formative years, my brother and I attended Sunday School and church at the Grace Reform Church.  Wherever we went, I was satisfied.

When I married and settled in Northern Virginia, I was able to attend Greek Orthodox services weekly.  Older now and not wanting to drive far, I started attending services at my local Catholic Church, and I have enjoyed that very much.  It isn't as though I stopped attending services at my church, but about two years ago it was obvious that I was attending Mass at the Catholic Church more often than attending Liturgy at my Greek Orthodox Church.  So, I do have a place to go, but in my heart, I will always be a Greek Orthodox Christian. 

I truly hate that I will probably have to stop attending my church, though.  I know they won't change.

I am able to continue live-streaming my church's services, but it just is not the same as being there in person.

@golding76 

I have to agree with you.

There is something about being inside a church, a house of worship, G-d's House, that makes me feel closer to Him, that no streaming can replicate.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

I am not a church goer although I was raised in an evangelical church. I know that many religions are bound by tradition. I also know that many religions are anti- science, this dates back to the Middle Ages. My view is that God can be worshipped anywhere. A loving god does not want his people to suffer for the sake of tradition. Like many other institutions, the churches will have to find a way to worship that protects their parishioners. This can be a positive effort which could lead to a more meaningful service and possibly a larger congregation.

Esteemed Contributor

@wishmoon :  Saw guidelines this AM (for all of one big city, I don't remember) that mentioned one stationary box for collections.

Esteemed Contributor

@Boomernichols  In the Mennonite Church we are accustomed to taking communion twice a year, so it isn't as much of a problem. Still, we have been going forward and receiving the wine (grape juice?) in small cups from a tray for many, many years. Bread is cut up and on a tray as well. The singing, however will be a problem. We are used to acapella singing, and it is an integral part of our worship. Not sure how that's going to translate with masks. The best part of going to church via FaceBook has been being able to sing along with the songs without anyone hearing how way off I am! Hahaha!

Super Contributor

I to have never been fond of hand holding and shaking hands in church....also drinking wine from same cup as others....and the touching of the communion host...prior to handing It to the receiver...

Super Contributor

Re: Church changes

[ Edited ]

@PA Mom-mom  There is a large Mennonite community in Seminole, Texas. I often see the women and children in Walmart shopping. I live in a larger neighboring town. I attend the Church of Christ. We take communion weekly and also sing acapella. I did not know Mennonites also worship this way. Learn something new everyday.

Esteemed Contributor

One of the saddest aspects of this virus is that we have come to see everyone as a threat to be avoided and kept at a distance.

Honored Contributor

Virus or no virus, church tradition or not, I'm not drinking from the same cup or spoon with a stranger. Or kissing someone else's hand.  Not happening.  I'm not a total germaphobe, but that just crosses the line for me. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

@texassunflower wrote:

@PA Mom-mom  There is a large Mennonite community in Seminole, Texas. I often see the women and children in Walmart shopping. I live in a larger neighboring town. I attend the Church of Christ. We take communion weekly and also sing acapella. I did not know Mennonites also worship this way. Learn something new everyday.

@texassunflower  There are "singing churches" in the Mennonite Church. If  you ever get a chance to attend, you should. The members are not formally trained, but they are raised singing four-part harmony. It is something to behold. I think it is our DNA. I'm partially deaf, so I can't sing as well as I used to do. It is also not as easy to hear the congregation. But I have my memories.