Super Contributor

Re: Christmas trends of years past

@Mominohio wrote:

blowmold_smallones.png (600×471)

HA! We had this exact santa and the noel candles! I forgot about these. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

My parents had a live flocked tree every year during the 50's and 60's.  The tree would be in the basement.  My father would mix a combination of Ivory Snow detergent with water and use my mother's Electrolux canister vacuum to blow the concoction onto the branches.  He would let it dry and repeat the process until the tree was almost white!  Looking back at old pictures, it was beautiful.  But of course, at that time I wanted a green tree just like all my friends had!  We would put the tree in front of our picture window and would have complete strangers ring our doorbell asking to come inside to see our tree-back then we would welcome them!  Couldn't imagine inviting strangers into my house these days.  Simpler days gone by with wonderful memories...

Super Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

The spun glass was beautiful, but I think it was stopped because people could get cut from it, including children and pets.

I loved the tinsel and you can still find it, but it's dangerous for pets, too.  Our two kitties try to eat anything on the tree, including branches. 

Oh, I hadn't thought of that. We had a dog growing up, but she never messed with the tree. Except for the candy canes - we had to hang those higher up.

My kitty now would have a field day with tinsel, though! 

Honored Contributor

Fake snow in a can (which is still available) and sprayed onto glass doors and windows through a stencil to create Christmas images, snow flakes, etc... It was an awful look, messy and hard to get off...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb

Oh, I loved the snow-in-a-can and the stencils, but, yeah, a mess and difficult clean-up...I'm tempted to try it with Ivory Soap!!

Smiley LOL

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

@stevieb

Oh, I loved the snow-in-a-can and the stencils, but, yeah, a mess and difficult clean-up...I'm tempted to try it with Ivory Soap!!

Smiley LOL

@MacDUFF I happened across a can of fake snow I got last year and never used... I have no idea what I planned to do with it...

Woman Very Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

Image result for Christmas Tree Covered with Tinsel

That's it @MacDUFF!  The tree wasn't decorated without all of those icicles.  And some people carefully removed it after the holidays to re-use, while others just threw the tree away with the icicles still on it.  I also remember that they were originally made of a thin metal cut into strips, then in later years they were a silver colored plastic cut into strips.  Sure glad we don't have to deal with that anymore, but it was really pretty at the time.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember an aunt having that spinning color wheel on the side of her Christmas tree.  I was mezmerized by that color wheel.

Cwheel2.jpg

Honored Contributor

Stencils to spray fake snow pictures on the windows.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anita Hug wrote:

Are there any items that used to be popular in your home for Christmas, but are not around anymore?  Any that you'd like to see come back?

We used to decorate with spun glass angel hair over lights. And had the little chime decorations that had angels that spun around and around with the heat from lit candles underneath. I used to be mesmerized by those things!  And the scent of bayberry candles.  These used to mean it was Christmas time in our house, but now I can't remember the last time I've seen them!

@Anita Hug  I grew up with Bayberry candles at Christmas also, and could never find any that smelled the same until recently, and they are made by The Cheerful Giver, the closest it could be.  Zulily sells them from time to time.  There are so many Bayberry candles from different companies, but none of them smelled like the candles I grew up with until I found The Cheerfull Giver.

We usually had tinsel on the trees, and I still have what my Mother saved. Smiley Happy