Honored Contributor

I've had to rig artificial trees at least twice before and once they were decorated yet... These were big, thick lush trees decorated to within an inch of their lives and I was not going to undress them and start from scratch. I literally had to cut wires out of the trees and weave strands of lights into them while decoarted. Believe me, once they are decorated and lit, unless you're looking for it, and looking very closely I might add, you'll never know...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

last year the lights on my beautiful tree bit the dust before we got it up to start decorating. it was 6 years old and was $400 on sale at the end of a previous season. we ended up cutting all of the lights off of the tree and getting the wires removed. it took a while, but it got done. we then strung it with lights that had to be plugged in. it looked beautiful yet again.....and guess what? i am NOT buying a new tree this year, we are doing the same thing as we did last year.  it will go up tomorrow.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

My tree from Bethlehem lights did this on year 2. We just put lights in the middle and after it's decorated you can't tell.   

I Keep saying I'm buying a new tree but I haven't. You can't tell at all and by the time Christmas is over, I'm off on something else. 

Frequent Contributor

Two years ago my plan was to buy a pre-lit tree after Christmas - but every place was so picked over. So I bought a new one last year in October.

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

I think if it were me, I'd buy a new artificial tree at the after-Xmas sales - you should be able to get the tree of your dreams then for a great price. And I'd probably buy a real tree this year - OTOH, you'd have to be buying lights for one use, and it would be just as much or more of a PIT* to string lights on an entire real tree than just on part of your current tree. Depends on how much effort the two of you want to put into it ;-)

Agreed, you will get the best tree after the holidays with a deep discount.  Put the lights in the mid section for this year, no one will notice.  Real trees are high this year, put your money towards a fabulous artificial tree. 

Esteemed Contributor

From the OP-

Thank you for the replies! Love all of your opinions and ideas!

Problem solved thanks to DH, while I was in the shower!

DH took the section out of the tree (the part that wasn't lighting) and hooked it up with all the other 3 levels.

Now you would think it would not look right without the one section, or that it would be lopsided, But it looks amazing (shape wise) with out the part that doesn't light!

AND now the tree is about 5 foot 7 or 8 instead of 6.5 foot, which is good for me b/c I wanted a smaller tree. So we are going to use it like this for now, since the other sections light up.

(Hopefully no other sections go out before Christmas, fingers crossed!).

So we will wait until after Christmas to look for trees on sale or maybe we will cut the lights out like someone mentioned and use our own lights on it next year? (love that idea!).

Thanks again!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

I bought a pre-lit tree ten years ago.  I thought it was beautiful.  After two or three years a section of lights went out.  The following year, another went out and the next year, another.  I just put my old lights on the tree and it looks just fine.  The tree is a nice shape and there's no need to get rid of it.  I would never buy another pre-lit tree though.

Valued Contributor

I always get "real" trees". Artificial ones ALWAYS look atrificial, no matter how expensive they are.

Respected Contributor

I only use a real Christmas tree,and I have never had an issue with needles all over the place or any problems....I make sure to check it out at the tree lot, run your fingers over the branches  and give it a few good shakes....no needles fall off...it's mine!

Get a nice fresh tree...smells and looks so good! BTW, I  get a six foot tree...

Honored Contributor
If you really want my advice, I'd just get a set or two of lights and string them on the tree. I know if they are all white lights, that is really easy to do. With the multi-colored sets, you might have a harder time making them match.