Trusted Contributor

Re: Christmas shopping started? Finished?

My Christmas shopping is easy. I start the first Friday in October and I buy a gift card a week for our son. I get ones from Trader Joe’s, iTunes, gas cards, his favorite restaurants, etc. He’s 42 and has everything he needs in the way of clothes, so this way he has a new gift every time he wants to shop, get gas, buy a movie, etc. Then I bake up his favorite treats and I’m done. We also just get gift cards for the grandkids. They’re teenagers, so trying to buy anything for them would be difficult since their taste changes by the day.😊

DH and I don’t get gifts for each other as we just buy what we need or want anytime. After 42 years of marriage, it’s tough to surprise each other anymore. LOL.😊😉

Super Contributor

14 years old is an om possible age for gift giving.   As much as I hate gift cards, that's what I'd give him.

Respected Contributor

I don't know why, but I haven't even given thought to it yet, which is unusual for me.

We don't exchange gifts with DH's family anymore, that was a group decision made a few years back.  We exchanged with my brother and his girlfriend, but we're ceasing this year; none of us need more stuff.

That only leaves my DH.  I still gift my nephew and his wife, but that is cash and an annual sentimental Christmas ornament.

Respected Contributor

I have begged my parents, friends, neighbors to stop buying gifts for several years ... no one needs anything, honestly.   But the gifts keep coming!    I want to celebrate this special season with contributions to the less fortunate ... not stuffing my house & closets with "things" .... perhaps one day.

Honored Contributor

I bought one gift.  I wasn't Christmas shopping but saw something I thought someone would really like, so I bought it.  Accidental gift buy, I guess.

Respected Contributor

I started early this month. With each paycheck, I've been buying a few things. I'm not going overboard. My stepddad and brother are the hardest to shop for, but they say they're happy with money and gift cards. I do small things for co-workers, and my birthday dinner group at our annual Christmas party. 

Honored Contributor

I'm done---we give our grown kids cash for Xmas. My DD b-day is Dec 23 and I have her gift already.

The hubs and I don't buy for each other anymore---easy breezy !!. 

Esteemed Contributor

I pick things up along the way. I've learned when I see something and the moment strikes me, that is when to buy.   I don't have a lot to buy for but I always try to be ahead on things, regardless of what it is.  I have never stressed about Christmas as that was an advantage of being ahead of the curve.  While others are running around like nuts, I just sit back, listen to Christmas music and drink a couple of glasses of wine by the fireplace.  What could be better than that???

Honored Contributor

I’m probably 75% done. 

I still have to shop shop for my sisters children (adults), my hisband’s 5 year old grandson and my brother in law. I always do all that Thanksgiving weekend. 

Everyone else is done.  Waiting for a few things to come in the mail. 

I’ve wrapped the gifts for the out of towers and packed the shipping boxes. I’ll mail,those the week before Thanksgiving. 

And I’ve wrapped the gifts for my friends and stepsons and daughter in law. 

I don’t have much to go. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Just finished Halloween gifts for grandkids.Woman Surprised

We know what we are getting DS, DDIL, grandkids, and a friend of DS who spends Christmas with us so browsing for one time on-line shopping will be next, probably in Nov. 

The only store shopping will be for the Angel trees when they go up.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh