Honored Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

Good grief. Saying Christmas is cancelled is just a phrase. We all know the you can't cancel 12/25. Would it have been more acceptable to all if Goldensrbest said Christmas celebrations are cancelled? Some are so touchy and always look for an excuse to lecture someone. 

Thank you,merry CHRISTMAS.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@goldensrbest    Merry Christmas to you also and Happy New year!

Esteemed Contributor

No, Christmas, i.e. Christ's birth is not canceled.  However, I shouldn't speak for the OP, but I think what the OP is refering to is the family/friends celebrations and get togethers.  That's the way I took it.

It is sad that I can't get together with my children, grandchildren and g.grands.  Yes, we have Zoom, but that physical interaction isn't there and the excitement of seeing each other in person and the laughter and hugs......my gosh, the hugs. In all my years, which are many, I have never seen anything like this.  Very sad.

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3    What a lovely and thoughtful post. 

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@beach-mom wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

My family in Australia just found out their section of the country will be on lockdown till the 24th. They had been doing so good no mask were required anymore. 

@proudlyfromNJ - I had heard Australia and New Zealand were doing so well. But the one thing none of us can forget is this virus is unpredictable. China really did a lot of damage to this world.

@goldensrbest - I hadn't heard about this much today either. Late this afternoon DD told me something she saw on Facebook. I haven't had the news on either. It's been college football all day today.  Smiley Wink

@beach-mom  What was China supposed to do? Make their people wear masks, distance from each other, not travel, cancel plans, stay home? Why should China have been more successful with those sorts of measures than we have been?

China was supposed to do the decent moral thing.  Their scientists discovered the virus and tried to raise the alarm.  They were arrested and silenced.  At least one of them that did get the word out died early of the coronavirus.

China also allowed people to travel and didn't tell the rest of the world.  When it was apparent that it was out of control, they refused help from other countries.  They also lied about the seriousness of this virus in their own country, telling the world they had it under control and their country was safe. It wasn't.  They lost a lot of people and lied about that too.

China did a serious cover up that failed.  They are responsible for this.  It didn't have to be this bad.

Look at how the virus has spread, and the devastation it has caused, in countries where it's fully acknowledged (at least "on paper") how dangerous it is. What do you think would be different had China done all you say they should have? Do you think the citizens there would have locked down, stopped travel, stopped gathering, and by doing so could have prevented the disease from spreading and leaving their country? You might be suggesting the government should have imposed and enforced those kinds of restrictions (I don't want to put words in your mouth)...but that seems a bit rich from someone in a country that can't even ask people to wear masks without cries of rights being infringed, let alone implement a national mandate requiring them. Ignoring the impossibility of enforcing entirely.

Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas is cancelled

[ Edited ]

The thread title is a quote; it is what the U.K. said when announcing the new strain. A poor choice of words, for sure, but there it is.

Best case scenario, no one should have been planning “Christmas as usual” even without a new strain. People still don’t get it. Pandemic. 

Honored Contributor

Oh, brother.

Christmas isn't canceled.  Another alarmist thread.

Valued Contributor

722652.jpegWoman Wink

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@50Mickey wrote:

Good grief. Saying Christmas is cancelled is just a phrase. We all know the you can't cancel 12/25. Would it have been more acceptable to all if Goldensrbest said Christmas celebrations are cancelled? Some are so touchy and always look for an excuse to lecture someone. 

@50Mickey   Sad isn't it?  Not to mention not everyone views Christmas as religious. 

All this angst over a thread title.  For some, the day will be very lonely and I am concerned for those who will not be able to be with loved ones.

Whether one views Christmas as the Birth or not isn't the issue.

The issue is most folks have traditions that have been wiped out this year.  It isn't always about going to Mass; sometimes it is just the simple gathering with hugs and warmth.

Instead of stepping all over the OP, it would have been kinder to realize that this Christmas will be very hard on so many.

Count your blessings and have compassion for others, too.

Thank you for a reasonable, kind, and mature post.

@Cakers3 Well said! 

I feel badly for those who had plans to see loved ones only to have that dashed....particularly for those who are alone.

Honored Contributor

a few days ago i heard that there was that new strain of the virus in the UK. i pray it doesnt come here!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller