Honored Contributor

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@beach-mom wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

My family in Australia just found out their section of the country will be on lockdown till the 24th. They had been doing so good no mask were required anymore. 

@proudlyfromNJ - I had heard Australia and New Zealand were doing so well. But the one thing none of us can forget is this virus is unpredictable. China really did a lot of damage to this world.

@goldensrbest - I hadn't heard about this much today either. Late this afternoon DD told me something she saw on Facebook. I haven't had the news on either. It's been college football all day today.  Smiley Wink

@beach-mom  What was China supposed to do? Make their people wear masks, distance from each other, not travel, cancel plans, stay home? Why should China have been more successful with those sorts of measures than we have been?

China was supposed to do the decent moral thing.  Their scientists discovered the virus and tried to raise the alarm.  They were arrested and silenced.  At least one of them that did get the word out died early of the coronavirus.

China also allowed people to travel and didn't tell the rest of the world.  When it was apparent that it was out of control, they refused help from other countries.  They also lied about the seriousness of this virus in their own country, telling the world they had it under control and their country was safe. It wasn't.  They lost a lot of people and lied about that too.

China did a serious cover up that failed.  They are responsible for this.  It didn't have to be this bad.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is political.

Super Contributor

Birthdays are not cancelled.

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

One of my friends in northern England and I are in touch every day.  She said the same thing:  that "Christmas is cancelled."  She was relaying the news that they are now in tier 4 (the highest level of restriction) and that, instead of the five day hiatus they were going to be allowed, to relax the restrictions a bit, that has now been cancelled.

They will only be able to get together on Christmas Day with a few members of their "bubble" (usually family).  So the friend who was going to have lunch with her on Christmas Eve had to cancel.

My friend lives alone, so it is a big deal to those having to live this way.  Yes, she is following all the rules, but that doesn't make it any easier, when she was looking forward to some pleasant company at least for a short time.

We still have far fewer restrictions in this country and many people can't even be disciplined enough to follow those.

@Venezia   Thank you for understanding what the OP was trying to say.

I "get" how she writes and it would have taken less time for some to be kind and not be so self-righteous about her thread.

Thank you again.  People alone especially will be affected. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

One of my friends in northern England and I are in touch every day.  She said the same thing:  that "Christmas is cancelled."  She was relaying the news that they are now in tier 4 (the highest level of restriction) and that, instead of the five day hiatus they were going to be allowed, to relax the restrictions a bit, that has now been cancelled.

They will only be able to get together on Christmas Day with a few members of their "bubble" (usually family).  So the friend who was going to have lunch with her on Christmas Eve had to cancel.

My friend lives alone, so it is a big deal to those having to live this way.  Yes, she is following all the rules, but that doesn't make it any easier, when she was looking forward to some pleasant company at least for a short time.

We still have far fewer restrictions in this country and many people can't even be disciplined enough to follow those.

Thank you, it is what the prime minster said, so many un kind people on here,hope they  learn some day.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

In the UK , a new strain,of covid 19. And spreading of  the one we all have,WTH?

Ignore the naysayers.  We all know what you mean.

Fyi, my Christmas plans are cancelled and that's ok.  I'd never get over it if I accidentally passed the virus on to a loved one.

Respected Contributor

Thank you, it is what the prime minster said, so many un kind people on here,hope they  learn some day.

Perhaps if you saw it from the perspective of a believer, you would see that to say that this great day is "cancelled" is what is unkind and offensive. No one on Earth has the power to cancel that day, but that is what "Christmas is cancelled" says. And it doesn't matter how many unthinking people say the same impaired thing, it's still wrong and it's still unkind.

It's truly sad that social events are more important than what this day really means. Christmas has never meant more than it does this year, and if you can honor that, you can gain a different perspective about not seeing X and Y or hugging Z. If that's not in your belief system, good tidings of the season to you, but leave Christmas alone.

Respected Contributor

Good grief. Saying Christmas is cancelled is just a phrase. We all know the you can't cancel 12/25. Would it have been more acceptable to all if Goldensrbest said Christmas celebrations are cancelled? Some are so touchy and always look for an excuse to lecture someone. 

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

Perhaps if you saw it from the perspective of a believer, you would see that to say that this great day is "cancelled" is what is unkind and offensive. No one on Earth has the power to cancel that day, but that is what "Christmas is cancelled" says. And it doesn't matter how many unthinking people say the same impaired thing, it's still wrong and it's still unkind.

It's truly sad that social events are more important than what this day really means. Christmas has never meant more than it does this year, and if you can honor that, you can gain a different perspective about not seeing X and Y or hugging Z. If that's not in your belief system, good tidings of the season to you, but leave Christmas alone.

You are over re acting,to this, I AM A BELEIVER,  so think about that.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

Good grief. Saying Christmas is cancelled is just a phrase. We all know the you can't cancel 12/25. Would it have been more acceptable to all if Goldensrbest said Christmas celebrations are cancelled? Some are so touchy and always look for an excuse to lecture someone. 

@50Mickey   Sad isn't it?  Not to mention not everyone views Christmas as religious. 

All this angst over a thread title.  For some, the day will be very lonely and I am concerned for those who will not be able to be with loved ones.

Whether one views Christmas as the Birth or not isn't the issue.

The issue is most folks have traditions that have been wiped out this year.  It isn't always about going to Mass; sometimes it is just the simple gathering with hugs and warmth.

Instead of stepping all over the OP, it would have been kinder to realize that this Christmas will be very hard on so many.

Count your blessings and have compassion for others, too.

Thank you for a reasonable, kind, and mature post.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh