Honored Contributor

My family in Australia just found out their section of the country will be on lockdown till the 24th. They had been doing so good no mask were required anymore. 

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
I thought COVID 19 was a strain of the coronavirus? So there are new strains identified? Merry Christmas to us all! DH and I will be all alone on Christmas anyway, so just gives us another reason to hibernate.

@lovesrecess, it is a "novel" virus.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I keep up with the news every day. I am sad to say that the possible mutation of the virus making it more contagious (but not more severe) was not one of the news releases that worried, or should I say astounded me, the most.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I keep up with the news every day. I am sad to say that the possible mutation of the virus making it more contagious (but not more severe) was not one of the news releases that worried, or should I say astounded me, the most.

Well, I didn't see the news all day. You have me curious @suzyQ3. Must be bad.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

My family in Australia just found out their section of the country will be on lockdown till the 24th. They had been doing so good no mask were required anymore. 

@proudlyfromNJ - I had heard Australia and New Zealand were doing so well. But the one thing none of us can forget is this virus is unpredictable. China really did a lot of damage to this world.

@goldensrbest - I hadn't heard about this much today either. Late this afternoon DD told me something she saw on Facebook. I haven't had the news on either. It's been college football all day today.  Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

This will not affect our Christmas plans.

The two of us will be here, and we will connect with our children and grandchildren via zoom.

And we will not be going to church, either.  We can talk to and pray to our Lord from anywhere.

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ - I had heard Australia and New Zealand were doing so well. But the one thing none of us can forget is this virus is unpredictable. China really did a lot of damage to this world.

@goldensrbest - I hadn't heard about this much today either. Late this afternoon DD told me something she saw on Facebook. I haven't had the news on either. It's been college football all day today.  Smiley Wink

@beach-mom  What was China supposed to do? Make their people wear masks, distance from each other, not travel, cancel plans, stay home? Why should China have been more successful with those sorts of measures than we have been?

Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
It seems the news on tv just can’t wait to forecast more gloom and doom. They know there is already more than one strain of this virus...it is common for viruses to mutate or change into different strains...so which one (s) does the vaccine protect us from?

They are saying the current vaccines will provide protection even if it mutates.  Let's hope so!

Respected Contributor

Re: Christmas is cancelled

[ Edited ]

Christmas isn't canceled just because one should stay home and  not be a spreader. Cripes.

So sick of folks being dramatic about smart solutions. Its ONE YEAR of living differently.

MY solution needs to be I stop reading dramatic and silly posts. I'll take care of that.

Honored Contributor

One of my friends in northern England and I are in touch every day.  She said the same thing:  that "Christmas is cancelled."  She was relaying the news that they are now in tier 4 (the highest level of restriction) and that, instead of the five day hiatus they were going to be allowed, to relax the restrictions a bit, that has now been cancelled.

They will only be able to get together on Christmas Day with a few members of their "bubble" (usually family).  So the friend who was going to have lunch with her on Christmas Eve had to cancel.

My friend lives alone, so it is a big deal to those having to live this way.  Yes, she is following all the rules, but that doesn't make it any easier, when she was looking forward to some pleasant company at least for a short time.

We still have far fewer restrictions in this country and many people can't even be disciplined enough to follow those.