Honored Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

How 'bout this?

1176233_10153501016190693_798748801_n.jpg

Actually, my kids usually do get these things . . . although, I will admit, a few more than four gifts each. I am cutting back this year.

I've heard this before, and I think it is a great thing to start when they are very little, so they don't know any different.

I know families that allow only three gifts, and they teach the children that Jesus received three gifts from the kings, and that is what the child should receive as well. 

I think it gets out of hand for some families when there are so many grandparents, aunts and uncles that buy as well. It can add up to a real load.

Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas gifts

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@jonbon wrote:

How 'bout this?

Actually, my kids usually do get these things . . . although, I will admit, a few more than four gifts each. I am cutting back this year.

I've heard this before, and I think it is a great thing to start when they are very little, so they don't know any different.

I know families that allow only three gifts, and they teach the children that Jesus received three gifts from the kings, and that is what the child should receive as well. 

I think it gets out of hand for some families when there are so many grandparents, aunts and uncles that buy as well. It can add up to a real load.

When i was a child we got one gift from Santa, one from my parents and one from our siblings. Usually the one from my parents was clothing. When grandparents and aunts/uncles came they would also bring a gift but they were smaller gifts like coloring books, paper dolls and board games.I remember one year we got a gift of a huge box of crayons for all of us and we were so excited because we had never had so many colors before. For my single uncles my Mom always gave them homemade baked goods which they loved. 

We were only allowed to ask Santa for one gift and we never realized that some kids got to go ask him for a whole list of toys. My grandpap was the santa at his lodge  Christmas party every year so he was the Santa we went to see - thus insuring we would get what we asked for.

Esteemed Contributor
151949, not everyone at your stage in life spends the summer in a camper at a campground in Pittsburg. They might call that excessive. Right ?

No need to put down others for the choices THEY make.

Happy holidays !

Esteemed Contributor

Depends on what folks consider a gift and depends on the economic situation in a family.  We don't gift each other (my husband and I) as we purchase what we need when we need it.  We exchange cards and good words.  The gift swap is something I feel is for children.  Seems that some families raise their children to expect, expect, expect.  Okay, that's their business and their expense.  We gift/give out of the genuine love of our hearts. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lila Belle wrote:
151949, not everyone at your stage in life spends the summer in a camper at a campground in Pittsburg. They might call that excessive. Right ?

Happy holidays !

Where I live, in my plan, there are 140 homes. In the summer 132 of them leave to go back up north for the summer to homes they still own there.Not campers - houses! The same is true all over Fl. People who are retired frequently snowbird back & forth between 2 homes they own or travel in the summer. It is way more the norm than you seem to be aware of. Those of us who worked hard, saved diligently and were careful with our money, not just running out buying ourself every single little wish or buying impulsively, can afford a nice retirement and certainly deserve it. 

Esteemed Contributor
I'm well aware since my elderly grandparents used to do the same thing. lol

Most people work hard, save diligently, and are careful with their $$$ as well and spend on Xmas too.

You just seem to have a case of the bum about people buying things you don't approve of.
Honored Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:
I'm well aware since my elderly grandparents used to do the same thing. lol

Most people work hard, save diligently, and are careful with their $$$ as well and spend on Xmas too.

You just seem to have a case of the bum about people buying things you don't approve of.

I am bummed by the real meaning of Christmas being totally lost under the piles of meaningless gifts and parties. Some children don't even know it is to celebrate Jesus's birth. The excessive materialism has ruined the real reason for the season. Not for me - but in many many many American homes/families.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:

Happy holidays !

Where I live, in my plan, there are 140 homes. In the summer 132 of them leave to go back up north for the summer to homes they still own there.Not campers - houses! The same is true all over Fl. People who are retired frequently snowbird back & forth between 2 homes they own or travel in the summer. It is way more the norm than you seem to be aware of. Those of us who worked hard, saved diligently and were careful with our money, not just running out buying ourself every single little wish or buying impulsively, can afford a nice retirement and certainly deserve it. 

Why is it so hard for you to understand that other people choose a wonderful vacation or that once in a lifetime piece of jewelry or that car they've always wanted instead of supoorting two residences? They "worked hard, saved diligently and were careful with their money" too.

They just choose a different way of spending it.  Your way suits you. It doesn't appeal to everyone.

~Enough is enough~
Esteemed Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

How 'bout this?

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

There were 5 of us and my parents followed that "rule" and we do the same with our kids. My kids also have to give one gift  " back to Santa" for other kids.

Our families are large so we all draw names and have a limit on the price of the gift.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm just trying to get over the terminology "Excessive materialism".  Really?    How awful to judge people you don't even know or even make a statement about how they choose to spend their hard earned money.  It's no ones business!! 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee