Honored Contributor

That's a fantasy as much as the Victorians concocted the Victorian christmas with the tree and goose and Merry Christmas Everyone.

Valued Contributor

@brii wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Well, clearly , excessive materialism is the QVC board norm. Why didn't I already know that? DUH to me.

So if you don't get underwear or socks for Christmas, it's excessive materialism?

LOL

GOOD ONE!

Valued Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

A new robe, maybe, but I would not want socks and underweat for Christmas.  My children never got those either.  They are an everyday necessity... not a gift!

EXACTLY! I can't imagine giving someone socks and underwear for Christmas. LOL!

Respected Contributor

Couples who have raised their children have every right to spend their money as they choose.  Some like a few fancy things and some like trips.  More power to them. Why save bundles of $ just to give it to your children?  Oh, and gifts to charity are always in style.

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't mind cutting gifts in our family to my kids and grandkids..

I get for my sisters..my nephews....nieces..etc..

Hubby and I stopped exchanging years ago as we want something we buy it..and it lost its impact when we would pick a couple things to give from the other..

Every year we go on vacation he gets new socks/undies so I don't have to pack them..it is a given lol..

I never bought the kids socks/undies as a gift - always a item that was necessity and we got them as needed. I can understand those that can't do that ..see them as a gift they need. My mothers/grandmothers time it was all about necessity.

My kids were the ones that had all those gift openings..once at home..and  respective grandparents.  My father lives out of state and I would let them open his when they arrived otherwise they would get lost in the load of the day.

I love the holidays and spoiling the kids and now grandkids..It is such a magical time for kids and it does make me think at times of the kids that don't have that..

I love the latest smart phone myself so I can't say anything about the kids..and hubby loves the newest TV..we worked hard all our life and want to enjoy what we have now...I am sure many others feel the same and want to do the trips and cars..as long as they can afford it..good for them..we do vacation once a year with the kids lol.we now rent a condo on the beach and the kids/grandkids come..but we drive modest vehicles..and live modest home that is paid for a few years ago..so we can now live much more comfy than when the kids were small..thank goodness we had the ability to do so...

whatever works for that person/family is good..doesn't affect me.

Respected Contributor

Maybe you could just tell your family that from now on, you will be buying only for your kids/grands, and would like them to do the same?@CouponQueen

We cut out giving to family other than parents years ago! Stopped exchanging with siblings when they started having kids. We have no kids ourselves, and as the years went by and the nieces/nephews got older, we told them "No more gifts after you turn 16." Then when they had their own kids, after a few years their were 15-16 of the little ones and it just got to be too much. It's such a relief not to do all that shopping anymore! Makes for a much less stressful holiday season.

Nowadays we get a gift for my dad (only parent left), and do some charitable things. Usually we'd get something kind of expensive for each other, but this year--not even that. We each have a token gift to put under the tree for the other, because even in our 60's we believe that there should be "something" to open on Christmas morning, lol!

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Allegheny wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

A new robe, maybe, but I would not want socks and underweat for Christmas.  My children never got those either.  They are an everyday necessity... not a gift!

i can certainly remember times in my family's early years when we were grateful for getting the necessities under the tree.  times can be tough -  but the spirit of the holidays is what is important.  

@ms traditional

Me too.  I was just thinking this morning about items given to me for holiday and/or birthday when I was a child several I still have and cherish.  They weren't necessarily expensive, but they mean something to me.

I was thinking to myself if kids are like this anymore.  I like to buy special, meaningful gifts for the children in my life, when I find out they get broken or trashed within a year I have decided it just isn't worth my time.

It's difficult in today's world, with splits, divorces, separations, etc. to create and maintain a sense of proportion for kids. I have a family member raising children as a single mom with "involved" grandparents and various SOs. She raises her kids to give to the less fortunate, volunteer on trips to foreign orphanages, etc. They are not "spoiled" in the "anything I want" sense.

But OMG at Xmas these kids get SO MUCH from so many different family members that they have 3-4 gift openings a Xmas, and clothing is considered (by them) to be a non-gift. Anything other than a "toy" (which includes electronics) is tossed in a pile, never to be regarded again.

I usually give a gift card to the older and a toy to the younger. This year I bought "things" as opposed to gift cards. But I understand that "one more gift" is pretty meaningless to them just because of the sheer overload. So I don't over-spend, and don't feel guilty.

I quit the overspending when my daughter had to "take a break" in the middle of opening gifts. I realized I was ridiculous. 

Honored Contributor

When i was growing up in the 50's,60's, i looked forward to getting clothes at Christmas, my mom and dad worked hard,factory jobs,we didn't have alot of money,but i got what i wanted,my brother did to, i think Christmas is just not at all like it was back then, too much stuff, expensive things,i would love to go back in time.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

How 'bout this?

1176233_10153501016190693_798748801_n.jpg

Actually, my kids usually do get these things . . . although, I will admit, a few more than four gifts each. I am cutting back this year.

Respected Contributor

Re: Christmas gifts

[ Edited ]

I don't know anyone who gives or receives such expensive gifts either.  They must sell a lot of cars at Christmas or they wouldn't have so many commercials for them.  I don't like any of the cars they advertise anyway like the Lexus and such.  Status symbols are not my cup of tea even if I could afford one.  I like the Jaguar because it has traditionally been a beautiful car, but I saw an ad for the newest model a couple of years ago and it looked like a Volvo.  Yuk!  My car is an old Toyota that I will drive until I must either get rid of it or carry it on my back.  I always get a workhorse car that is new or almost new and then drive it for a decade or more.  I'd rather have money in the bank than stuff anyway.  Good for those who can both spend and save a lot.  That's not my situation.