Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:
151949, not everyone at your stage in life spends the summer in a camper at a campground in Pittsburg. They might call that excessive. Right ?

No need to put down others for the choices THEY make.

Happy holidays !

Where I live, in my plan, there are 140 homes. In the summer 132 of them leave to go back up north for the summer to homes they still own there.Not campers - houses! The same is true all over Fl. People who are retired frequently snowbird back & forth between 2 homes they own or travel in the summer. It is way more the norm than you seem to be aware of. Those of us who worked hard, saved diligently and were careful with our money, not just running out buying ourself every single little wish or buying impulsively, can afford a nice retirement and certainly deserve it. 

Why is it so hard for you to understand that other people choose a wonderful vacation or that once in a lifetime piece of jewelry or that car they've always wanted instead of supoorting two residences? They "worked hard, saved diligently and were careful with their money" too.

They just choose a different way of spending it.  Your way suits you. It doesn't appeal to everyone.

I am repeatedly told to be tolerant of how all the rest of you spend your money - OK fine - this is really not about money in the first place anyway - but about the real reason for Christmas being long lost in America. However, I am constanly berated for how I spand my money, so I have to be tolerant of everyone and everyone gets to berate me ___NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@Lila Belle wrote:
151949, not everyone at your stage in life spends the summer in a camper at a campground in Pittsburg. They might call that excessive. Right ?

No need to put down others for the choices THEY make.

Happy holidays !

Where I live, in my plan, there are 140 homes. In the summer 132 of them leave to go back up north for the summer to homes they still own there.Not campers - houses! The same is true all over Fl. People who are retired frequently snowbird back & forth between 2 homes they own or travel in the summer. It is way more the norm than you seem to be aware of. Those of us who worked hard, saved diligently and were careful with our money, not just running out buying ourself every single little wish or buying impulsively, can afford a nice retirement and certainly deserve it. 

Why is it so hard for you to understand that other people choose a wonderful vacation or that once in a lifetime piece of jewelry or that car they've always wanted instead of supoorting two residences? They "worked hard, saved diligently and were careful with their money" too.

They just choose a different way of spending it.  Your way suits you. It doesn't appeal to everyone.

I am repeatedly told to be tolerant of how all the rest of you spend your money - OK fine - this is really not about money in the first place anyway - but about the real reason for Christmas being long lost in America. However, I am constanly berated for how I spand my money, so I have to be tolerant of everyone and everyone gets to berate me ___NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

@151949

you yourself made the initial post all about the gift giving process during christmas......and what people choose to spend their money on during this time of the year. it was only later on in the thread that you posted about "the meaning of christmas," which of course not everyone in america celebrates.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Except for Temp-Tations, I have no idea how you spend your money, nor do I care.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you don't spend it on anything fun. that's not in your lifestyle.

You seem unhappy all the time, always chastising others.  I have never once read a post from you telling us what a good time you had with friends or family, or even just your husband.

And... I'd bet you dollars to donuts, I worked harder than you ever did.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas gifts

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@jonbon wrote:

How 'bout this?

1176233_10153501016190693_798748801_n.jpg

Actually, my kids usually do get these things . . . although, I will admit, a few more than four gifts each. I am cutting back this year.

I've heard this before, and I think it is a great thing to start when they are very little, so they don't know any different.

I know families that allow only three gifts, and they teach the children that Jesus received three gifts from the kings, and that is what the child should receive as well. 

I think it gets out of hand for some families when there are so many grandparents, aunts and uncles that buy as well. It can add up to a real load.

When i was a child we got one gift from Santa, one from my parents and one from our siblings. Usually the one from my parents was clothing. When grandparents and aunts/uncles came they would also bring a gift but they were smaller gifts like coloring books, paper dolls and board games.I remember one year we got a gift of a huge box of crayons for all of us and we were so excited because we had never had so many colors before. For my single uncles my Mom always gave them homemade baked goods which they loved. 

We were only allowed to ask Santa for one gift and we never realized that some kids got to go ask him for a whole list of toys. My grandpap was the santa at his lodge  Christmas party every year so he was the Santa we went to see - thus insuring we would get what we asked for.

@151949

What luck to be 'related' to Santa! That was great help to your parents, him having your wishes known!

It is nice to remember the simple gifts we got and were thrilled with back in the day. Don't know if many others feel this way, but there was nothing quite like a brand new box of crayons. I still feel that way, and love to open a box and smell them. Takes me back decades.

Respected Contributor

Re: Christmas gifts

[ Edited ]

@PamfromCT wrote:

I know this won't be a popular post, so I'm prepared.

My DH and I were brought up without a lot.  Because we put ourselves through college (and I did my stint as an adult with kids), we were able to get things our parents could never dream of.  We sacrificed a lot raising and educating a family, both working very hard.  We have been so blessed to have a comfortable retirement.

That said, I'm in agreement that many of us Americans are too materialistic.  Even though many of us share with those lacking, we still spend too much on stuff we think is going to create happiness.  So much is overkill.  How many of us have stockpiles of stuff we will never really use?  Anyone who has knowledge about so many European cultures knows that is generally - yes generally - not the case there.  They are happier with much less.  We have traveled, visited with relatives abroad, and seen it in person.  

You may disagree with me.  But I think many of us have chased a lifestyle that is materialistic.  Even when you can afford it, things don't buy happiness.  Experiences, trips, etc., are different because they truly enrich your life.  To me, at least.

I wonder how many Europeans own an Ipad plus a smartphone and have more than one laptop or desktop plus a tv in every room AND more than 1 vehicle parked in their garage.  

QVC Customer Care

Unfortunatley we have decided to close this thread for new replies.