Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas gift ideas for 1 year old.

Lakeshore Scented Dough

• $19.99
“Those grapes smell like real grapes!” Kids can sculpt sweet-smelling masterpieces with our vibrant, scented dough. Safe, nontoxic dough is extra-soft and pliable...and it comes in 5 fabulous, long-lasting scents. You get 5 tubs of dough in the 5 colors shown; each is 1 pound.

Allergen Information: Does not contain corn, dairy/casein, egg, gelatin, latex or nuts.

item# LC128

Esteemed Contributor

THis "Gams" let's my grandson's parents worry about educational toys.  I concentrate on the fun toys.  maybe not educational but lots of fun.

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@muttmom wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Rather sad to see our culture thinks we have to buy-buy-buy-buy.

I saw the title, 'Christmas gift ideas for 1 year old'

and I thought...'a paper bag'.

Or some glue & paper. 

Or yarn & some twigs.  

Imagination rules at that age.

Glue for a 1 year old?

Giggle!

Out of this -entire- thread of nonsensical, not-needed, questionable

gifts for a 1-yr old, THIS was the one thing pointed out.  

Classic.

@sidsmom wrote:

@muttmom wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Rather sad to see our culture thinks we have to buy-buy-buy-buy.

I saw the title, 'Christmas gift ideas for 1 year old'

and I thought...'a paper bag'.

Or some glue & paper. 

Or yarn & some twigs.  

Imagination rules at that age.

Glue for a 1 year old?

Giggle!

Out of this -entire- thread of nonsensical, not-needed, questionable

gifts for a 1-yr old, THIS was the one thing pointed out.  

Classic.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Most listed are choking hazards.

Honored Contributor

Rule to determine if an item is a choking hazard for a toddler-- take an empty toilet paper roll -- put item inside it. If it fits easily inside -- it's a choking hazard.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Super Contributor

I have a one year old granddaughter and besides clothes, I bought her an easy four piece puzzle, books and an age appropriate baby doll.  Amazon has some cute baby dolls. Also, you might want to get her some cloth blocks, also on Amazon. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono@Baylie

@lolakimono wrote:

Indestructible Pots & Pans Playset

• $29.99
Children cook up tons of pretend meals—with unbreakable pots and pans made just for them! 18 kid-safe plastic cookware pieces include pots, pans & saucepans with lids...plus spoons, ladles & spatulas. Dishwasher-safe set is coordinated to our Indestructible Kitchen Playset (sold separately). Saucepans are 9 1/8".

item# HH642

Forgot to add: our DGCs enjoy their play kitchen a lot. DGD (35 mo) loves pushing her baby doll around in the play stroller.

DGS (18 mo) has left the shapes stage; he enjoys the play kitchen too and anything having to do with discovering.

The parents are particular about what the kids play with -- they would rather not on the electronic gadgets/ battery-dependent (lots of noise but the kids love them).

Above is a picture of a child's rocker costume which does have a battery-operated microphone. One can get this at Amazon.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Rocker toddler

Honored Contributor

@Baylie

My considerations this Christmas are that the grands can play while they are here since we have no toys here ... well we have a baby Einstein which they have outgrown except for the little shapes that hang off. 

Our girl is starting to play using pretend friends -- she will perform to them. She would be capable of a bit more in depth use of a toy.

Our boy is still into mouthing things (teeth) but less of that now and might work a simple puzzle. 

I think the masks in previous posts would be good for them. 

Also our girl loves "Paw Patrol" "Shimmer Shine" "Mickeys Playhouse" "Dora the Explorer" and Doc McStuffins" these are all cartoons that they watch. HTH

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KathyPet wrote:

THis "Gams" let's my grandson's parents worry about educational toys.  I concentrate on the fun toys.  maybe not educational but lots of fun.

@KathyPet

I so agree with you.  We're the grandparents that bought the over the top rocking horse and giant panda.  Let Mom & Dad buy the educational stuff. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes!  Someone here mentioned pots and pans..........I was thinking of plastic bowls and lids, in a variety of colors!   A good quality plastic such as Tupperware or a brand that is non-toxic and that doesn't contain lead, etc.  Do a bit of research for non-toxic plastic or silicone bowls with lids.  Looking back, I believe a one-year-old child would have fun with those, and then Mom can use them in the kitchen a couple of years later. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).