Valued Contributor

Christmas gift ideas for 1 year old.

My granddaughter will be 16 months old at Christmas and I am looking for some educational type toys for her. Any suggestions? I have seen a few things in stores for that age but would like to get recommendations from Moms and Grandmas whose children have the toys and like them. Thanks!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas gift ideas for 1 year old.

@Baylie  I always order from Fat Brain Toys.  You can choose the age group and I can say that everything I have ever given from there has been a really big hit. 

Respected Contributor

Both of my daughters LOVE little people (Fisher Price Little People) when they were around 1 year old. And it remains one of their favorite toys through the years. Even though they don't look educational, but they are great for fostering young kid's imagination.  And another good thing is they can continue to build their Little People collection through the years and make a big Little People world to make up their own stories.

Honored Contributor

Also Melissa and Doug have nice educational toys.....She may be a wee bit young for them though, you would have to check age, but my grandson loved their puzzles when he was younger.....

Honored Contributor

@Baylie

So glad you asked! We are in these stages too as grandparents of a 3 yr old granddaughter and a 1 1/2 yo grandson.

Here is the rocker girl costume we gifted her 1.year ago, she loves it!  Melissa and Doug is a really great line! Well thought out!

Last year we bought them Mesissa and Doug play cars ... worked out so well and they had fun. We got her a couple of play dough sets. As expected, the parts end up all over the place, but that type of toy it met expectations.

@lolakimono helped me so much last year by choosing ideas that are educational! I will come back later and post those. HTH

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

I work in a Prek classroom, and kids who have "dramatic play" always amaze me. Most of the time if a kid has really strong dramatic play they are very artistic in their play. Another thing I recommend is puzzles. Melissa and Doug do have great things for our younger kids. 

Valued Contributor

Childrens table and chairs, rocking chair, rocking horse. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Rather sad to see our culture thinks we have to buy-buy-buy-buy.

I saw the title, 'Christmas gift ideas for 1 year old'

and I thought...'a paper bag'.

Or some glue & paper. 

Or yarn & some twigs.  

Imagination rules at that age.

Respected Contributor

From experience with my own child playing in the box of the gift is a treat; also loved banging pots and pans.

Honored Contributor

Of course you want to have something for a child to unwrap, and you have been given a ton of great ideas here.

Let me suggest something that I would have loved when my son was little. Our area has an Academy that gives lessons and classes for kids from toddlers up. Some are group music classes (singing, play with music, etc.), and even a 'mommy and me' type science lab for kids as young as three. 

I took my son to so many of these things, and would have loved for someone to gift me the money or a gift certificate to cover the cost of these things. You could even enroll and take your granddaughter yourself (if you live close) and give mommy a break for the morning or afternoon. Most of these classes run for a number of weeks (like 6 weeks or so), and often have levels to keep moving up.