Esteemed Contributor

Re: Christmas Traditions You Don't Carry On

On 11/4/2014 muttmom said:
On 11/4/2014 Irshgrl31201 said:

I pretty much still follow most of the Christmas and holiday traditions my mother did. I have added some too that my daughters grandmother on her fathers sides did and some from my husbands family.

Thanksgiving and Christmas is my most favorite holidays. I love them. I make different kids of cookies, fudge, pies and cakes. I get glassine bags and beautiful Christmas ribbons and put cookies and fudge in them and hand them out to a lot of different people. Delivery people, mine and my husbands coworkers, local vendors or stores I visit, people who do my lawn, roses, etc... I really like baking. I don't keep a lot of what I bake here because we couldn't possibly eat it all but I find baking and cooking in general very relaxing. I like to turn on my favorite radio station and go to town. My daughter and I are planning on baking on Saturday because we have some friends coming into town from Australia next week and we want to make sure there are plenty of goodies for them.

At one time I baked holiday gifts but over the years I realized many people toss home baked goods. Our school district put out a notice that employees did not accept them. At my husband's office, when clients brought home baked items they were thanked but later the item was tossed. Our UPS man told me he tosses them. Even at my hair salon, there is a notice about home baked goods.

Yes, I didn't do it for my daughters high school because they don't allow it. At my work and my husbands it all goes into the break rooms and it gets eaten. I don't give it to people I don't know that well. This is more for people I have known for quite some time and we have personal relationships with. Like my mailman and UPS man love my pumpkin bread so I always make sure they each get a couple of loves. I used to be a colorist at my hair salon so I know what they like and try to make a favorite for each of them. I tend to stick with the people who I know more and know what they like.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

We used to always decorate our tree on Christmas eve and now I do it a couple of weeks before Christmas but not too early as I know I wouldn't enjoy it as much if it were up way before Christmas. We don't give gifts anymore either. I do bake way more than I ever did as my list of cookie trays has grown over the years. Each year I say I'm not doing it but everyone I see starts telling me they can't wait for my cookies. I do enjoy it though and since I'm retired, I have more time.

Esteemed Contributor

Santa doesn't fill our stocking anymore!

Honored Contributor

On 11/4/2014 brewhaha said:

DH doesn't dress up as Santa anymore. Except when we're role playing.

And thank you Mrs. Claus!

Honored Contributor

On 11/4/2014 hennypenny said:

We don't use finger bowls at the table any more. No more Christmas goose, mr henny likes ham.

LOL!! We are thinking about cooking a goose again this year actually! The last one we did turned out great!

Honored Contributor

Thanks to all of you who responded to this! It was funny, sad, heartwarming and educational to read your posts! Then there was that Santa Claus thing. . . {#emotions_dlg.blushing} for the big laugh!

Trusted Contributor

No more Christmas trees.........that was hard for me but I celebrate the Jewish holiday.

Respected Contributor

We have a Christmas tree and celebrate Christmas, mr henny comes from a Presbyterian family. We also celebrate Hanukkah as I am Jewish. I love to celebrate everything. Sharing each others beliefs and joys are a happy thing in our home.

Respected Contributor

On 11/4/2014 hennypenny said:

We have a Christmas tree and celebrate Christmas, mr henny comes from a Presbyterian family. We also celebrate Hanukkah as I am Jewish. I love to celebrate everything. Sharing each others beliefs and joys are a happy thing in our home.

That's a nice post.Smiley Happy

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Regular Contributor

We have given up the animal sacrifice altogether...And NO gifts from the Maggi!