Respected Contributor

I don't listen to Christmas music until after Thanksgiving. The radio stations seem to play the same 20-30 songs, so I go to independent internet radio sites, like Accuradio. You can choose from a ton of Christmas stations, there's something for everyone. And I listen to a lot of Christmas music on YouTube, where entire albums are uploaded. Manheim Steamroller is mandatory for me, and it was nice to hear all of their music, not the just the few the radio stations play. The Carpenters were on there too, and The Beach Boys - their first Christmas album is outstanding. Any of the old stuff is great. I generally avoid the current stuff, because most of the newer singers try and oversing the notes. Just sing the song, I don't need to hear you hold a note for 60 seconds! 

Respected Contributor

Some of the radio stations in the area have already started playing Christmas music. Of course, some of the department stores have been playing Christmas music for a few weeks. Usually after Thanksgiving, a few of the radio stations go 24/7 with Christmas music until Christmas night. I prefer the old Christmas Carols over the new music. 

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

Bing

It isn't Christmas without Bing and The Andrews Sisters.

Then again, it isn't Christmas without Bing and Bowie.

Bing and Bowie

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Super Contributor

Johnny Mathis!!!!!!!!!!

Regular Contributor

Re: Christmas Music

[ Edited ]

Nat King Cole, Johnny Mathis & Bing Crosby!! I may put the movie White Christmas on today now. Love watching it and writing out Christmas cards. Need to get some done anywaySmiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Graciesmom wrote:

I LOVE the Mormon Tabernacle Choir ...  I watch their Christmas special on Christmas Eve and have many, many of their CD’s ...  so many wonderful artists have sung with them ...  also love Josh Groban and then the old Nat King Cole, Andy Williams, Bing Crosby, etc. ...  I’ll Be Home for Christmas still makes me cry !!  I’ve been to the Kennedy Center for a few Christmas concerts but for some reason I begin to cry with very beautiful Christmas hymns and the choirs singing, organs and orchestras playing ...  I cry at Radio City when they do the Christmas story with the wise men and camels etc. walk across the stage ...  no wonder no one wants to go with me !!   LOL ...

------------------------

Well...hello!!  I also get teary when I hear Christmas music, especially Bing's - I'll Be Home For Christmas! My family always teases me.  So many good holiday songs and music!  Brings back so many great memories!

Valued Contributor

@corita ...  Glad to know I’m not the only one crying !!  Guess part is the nostalgia ...  We would be a great pair at a holiday concert ...  to each his own ...

Honored Contributor

Mistetoe and Wine by Mediaeval Baebes

Noel by The Quire of Voyces

Songs of Angels by Robert Shaw Chamber Singers

A Winter Symphony by Sarah Brightman

Merry Christmas by The Vienna Choir Boys

Tchaikovsky: The Nutcracker by Orchestra of the Kirov Opera

Winters Knight by Nox Arcana

Handels Messiah by The London Philharmonic

Symphony for a Season

A Victorian Christmas Revels by The Christmas Revels

Noel Christmas At Kings by Choir of King's College Cambridge

Our Favorite Carols, Let it Snow by Chanticleer

Christmas Music from Medieval Europe by Burgundian Cadence

Gregoriam Christmas Music by The Brendon Consort

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Valued Contributor

Hi Cherry - my all-time favorite Christmas carol is "Silent Night". Even as a little girl, singing it brought a special reverent feeling to my heart.

If you get a chance sometime, I think you might enjoy a 2012 TV movie "Silent Night." It's the story of how Josef Mohr, an Austrian priest, wrote "Silent Night." I watch it through my ROKU on the BYU TV channel. If you don't have ROKU, you can go to BYUTVdotorg on your computer and watch it. It's about 90 minutes long. Once you get on BYUTV, click on "shows" and scroll down til you find it. At the end of the movie he sings "Silent Night" along with some other people to his small congregation. During the credits it said that Josef Mohr died in 1848, a poor country priest, unaware of the worldwide success and impact of "Silent Night."

Honored Contributor

Ray Coniff SIngers. Grew up hearing them as my parents love the Christmas Albums. It wouldn't be Christmas without those songs!!