Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas Movie Recommendation

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

"The Bishops's Wife" - the original with Gregory Peck, Loretta Young, and David Niven.  Loretta Young was so lovely and feminine in the movie - the way I remember America growing up. 

@Puzzle Piece  It's Cary Grant and not Gregroy Peck.  However, I DO like Roman Holiday with Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn .........although it's NOT a Christmas movie...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My TOP Christmas favorite is THE BISHOP'S WIFE with Loretta Young, David Niven, and Cary Grant.....

I also enjoy THE SHOP AROUND  THE CORNER and CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT (original version with Barbara Stanwyck)

Also, a little known one is REMEMBER THE NIGHT with Fred McMurray and Barbara Stanwyck ...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VCamp2748 wrote:

A Child's Christmas in Wales, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (animated), Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town (animated), Love Actually.

I kinda miss the old Andy Wiiliams Show for the holiday, when he had his family on to sing along with him, as well as The Osmonds & even a very young Marie.

@DoneTryin  I agree about the old Christmas Specials like the ones Andy Williams and others did......the FEW specials they have today lack chemistry between the participants and lack of real Christmas spirit....JMHO!

Honored Contributor

Emmitt Otter's Jugband Christmas has been on ABC Family a few times this past week.  I had never heard of it.  Now I'm sorry I didn't tune in.

For those talking about the old x-mas specials like Andy Williams, etc., I have TimeWarner Cable and we have some channels that show older tv shows and they are showing some of the really old x-mas specials like Andy Williams, Perry Como, etc.  The stations are LAFF and MeTV.  There is another that I cannot think of right now but they are all right in a row on our cable.  I just scroll through them and see what interests me.

Honored Contributor

I love A Charlie Brown Christmas - can't believe it is 50 years old.

I don't tire of Love Actually, all the back stories, warms my heart. 

Trusted Contributor

It's a Wonderful Life

White Christmas

A Christmas Carol (George C. Scott)

The Homecoming

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Prancer

The Young Pioneer's Christmas

A Christmas Wish

A Holiday Engagement

A Royal Christmas

A Very Merry Mix-Up

Christmas With Holly

Comfort and Joy

Debbie Macomber's Mrs. Miracle

Debbie Macomber's Trading Christmas

Dennis the Menace Christmas

Guess Who's Coming to Christmas

November Christmas

Secret of Giving

Silver Bells (Bruce Boxleitner)

The Christmas Hope

The Christmas Shoes

The Mistle-Tones

The Nine Lives of Christmas

The Wishing Tree

Twelve Gifts of Christmas

Undercover Christmas

Window Wonderland

Okay - I know that's a long list, but I have a long list of Christmas movies that I've watched and given grades to.  The top bunch are older ones.  The bottom bunch are newer ones that you find on the Hallmark Channel, UP, and ABCFamily.  I have rated 182 movies so far, and these are the ones that I like the best.  Like many of you, I used to love the old Andy Williams Christmas specials.  I have DVDs of two old Donny and Marie Christmas specials which are corny but fun.  Currently I enjoy the CMT special each year, but was turned off by Michael Buble when he cracked several snarky political jokes during his special (fine for a late night comedian, but inappropriate for a family Christmas special, IMO).  The UP channel also plays 1 or 2 hours of Christmas music most mornings, and some of that music is enjoyable.

Honored Contributor

A Very Harold & Kumar Christmas & Bad Santa are my two faves.

Valued Contributor

Well, I don't think I will ever tire of Cary Grant.  He is so...EVERYTHING!   I adore the calmness of Loretta Young and her beautiful "doe" eyes paired against her "prickly" husband, David Niven.  My favorite Christmas movie is "The Bishop's Wife".

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Respected Contributor

Scanning the weekend schedule/guide this morning, see "Shop Around The Corner" is on this weekend. Believe it is on TCM Saturday night at 8 (eastern). Thought I'd post for those who might be interested. Also saw some of the other classics listed for this weekend, check your guide for schedule and times.
Occasional Contributor

One of my favorite Christmas movies is The Littlest Angel a 1969 TV movie musical with little Johnny Whitaker and an all-star cast.  Watch it free on YouTube.