Trusted Contributor

Re: Christmas At A Department Store-Blast From The Past

As kids I remember my mom taking us downtown on the bus during the Christmas season to walk around and see the window displays at all of the departments stores, we were so mesmerized and could stand there for hours just watching the animated displays, the thrill of it all brings back so many precious memories.

Esteemed Contributor

@Boehm Collectorwrote:

@Straywrote:

@Boehm Collectorwrote:

@MershaThis photo reminds me of when I would go shopping with my mother when I was a child in Manhattan. We would go to B. Altmans, Bonwit Teller, Saks Fifth Avenue. Around Christmas we would go and look at the windows decorated for the Holidays. They were beautiful!

@Boehm Collector- I have beautiful memories of NYC as well. Macys always looked beautiful & their Santa was always perfect but as a young adult and until it closed, B.Altman's was my favorite. Now, I go to Bryant Park which is my favorite Christmas place but I was heartbroken when L&T closed as they always had magical windows. NYC is still wonderful at Christmas but just not the same, sadly.

Oh, @Stray I forgot to mention Lord and Taylor. That was another store I went to with my mother. Brings back so many memories.

@Boehm Collector- sadly, those days are gone. It's nice we have those warm memories & I think today's younger generation have so many options available to them but imo, they have missed out on a lot. I'd never trade those times & memories.

Respected Contributor

@Citrine1

Took the words right out of my mouth!!!

If you HAD appeared in PJ's they would have had you arrested!!

Also no sloppy sweat pants. And people were normal weight because they didn't eat from morning til night.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

As a small child in the early fifties I remember the animated windows of Hahns and Hechts in Silver Spring, which was the warm up for our holiday trip via trolley to downtown D.C. the windows and stores were all wonderful ( Woodies, Hechts and Garfinckels). We finished up with lunch in the Garfinckels tea room where we ate off crescent shaped green plates. Many years later in Paris I found those very plates and bought them.

Honored Contributor

Hi, Mersha, in Pittsburgh you had Kaufman's, here in Baltimore we had Hechts, same store! I had and have family in Squirrel Hill, Carnegie and Mt Lebanon, Monroeville.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45wrote:

in our area, when i was growing up, it was HECHT CO, STEWARTS, HOCHSCHILD KOHN, HUTZLERS...... all in the baltimore area. even SEARS had a beautiful store. loved going in during the holidays, even if we were not buying a thing. such a warm and inviting time of the year. if we were lucky we got to have lunch in the tea rooms also.

Hi, Sun, in my college years I worked at Hechts downtown and we had a huge toy shop only at Xmas time on the 8th floor, it was only used for toys, the entire floor.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shelbelle,

I used to work at Hechts too for one holiday! I remember that top floor toy store!

I guess that was a trademark of the Hechts stores at Christmas time. They had such great costume jewelry didn't they?

"It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!"

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the baywrote:

@Shelbelle,

I used to work at Hechts too for one holiday! I remember that top floor toy store!

I guess that was a trademark of the Hechts stores at Christmas time. They had such great costume jewelry didn't they?

"It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!"

Are you a Baltimore gal too, like myself and Sunshine45? I worked at the downtown Hechts from 1970 to 75, my fave job I ever had!! And the employee discount!!!