Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas At A Department Store-Blast From The Past

xmas shoppers vintage.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

'Thanks for the memories'......... We lived in a mid-sized city at the time, and the Macy's windows were a real treat for just about everyone. I believe there were quite a few moving mechanical displays, too. So many years ago............

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Where I lived it was Armstrongs and Killians. Downtown shopping was the best.

Trusted Contributor

@lynnie61wrote:

@MershaThanks for sharing. I grew up in the Pittsburgh suburbs and we loved going to see Kaufmanns, Joseph Horne’s and Gimbels, especially st Christmas time. I loved the windows! So wonderfully decorated. Back in the day, hats, gloves, and dressed up to go downtown. Young people today won’t have those memories. Horne’s has been gone since the 90’s, but they still put a huge lighted tree on the corner of the building. We still call it the Horne’s tree.

@lynnie61I also grew up in the Pittsburgh suburbs (Monroeville)...It was always a special treat going into town around the holidays. My mom liked to go to the Tick Tock restaurant in Kaufmanns for lunch . As kids, we loved going on the escalators and seeing all the sites. The department store decorations were amazing. Great memories.

Valued Contributor

Oh, yes, Wannamakers! They had a Secret Santa shop in the lower level for children. Our parents would give the “elves” who were the sales ladies, a list of who we were buying for and a dollar limit so we kids could pick out gifts for Mom and Dad and our grandparents.
My grandmother would take me on the trolley, all dressed up, and we would get lunch.
Of course that is where my Mom Mom would buy the taffeta plaid Christmas dresses with crinolines that I had to wear. I would cry and my mother would remind me how very much Mom Mom loved to see me dressed for Christmas.
And Strawbridges, Gimbels and Bambergers, all gorgeously decorated. It was magical!
Respected Contributor

Talk about the good old days. In the 50's 60' 70's and into the 80's department stores were fabulous and beautiful places to shop. Nothing comes close to them now. The younger generation has no clue what they missed. We had the very first enclosed mall in our town (Midtown Plaza) which has been torn down. Our downtown was destroyed by the onset of Mall shopping. Now those are going by the wayside. Such change and this one makes me sad.

Respected Contributor

For those who need a department store fix, watch the PBS show Mr. Selfrige. It's a true story and beautifully done.

Occasional Contributor

Loved the first floor atSaks. Everything above was hundreds of dollars. Bought a beautiful suit, but because it had rhinestones, I never wore it!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks to all for sharing your memories.

------

I enjoyed reading them all.

------

The lamps on the counters made everything look so classy and important.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Contributor

I grew up in Chicago and I remember as a child, my parents would take me to downtown at night and we would walk down State Street looking at all the wonderful windows. Fast forward to my early twenties and I worked downtown and would shop during my lunch hour. Marshall Fields and Carson Pirie Scott decorations and windows were truly magical!