Respected Contributor

Christmas At A Department Store-Blast From The Past

The picture is of an iconic department store located in the DC Metro area, Woodward & Lothrop in 1957. It was a wonderful store that closed years ago. I still miss it.

------

I am sure there were stores such as this one all over the country. The picture took me back to being a little girl. We dressed up and then traveled downtown to the department store to look at the beautiful displays in the windows and ooohhh and ahhh.

------

Growing up in Pittsburgh, the trip usually involved snow of some sort. Then, if we promised to be good, we were allowed to go inside and view all of the decorations. It was so magical.

May be an image of 2 people, people standing and indoor

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas At A Department Store-Blast From The Past

As convenient as online shopping is , I miss the department stores of my younger days. The decorations were beautiful.🎄

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

Yes, and remember "salesladies" who would help you try on, bring you another size, etc.? They even helped my husband pick out gifts for me. Now they are just cash register operators, probably underpaid, not particularly friendly either. Macys was very messy yesterday. People unfold things and then just toss them on the table, and there aren't enough employees to straighten up (which they shouldn't have to do anyway).

Honored Contributor

Love the pictures of how these older stores were decorated for Christmas. Shopping trips back then added to the magic of the season for me. So not the same now, nor even close.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mersha

In St. Louis, it was Stix, Baer & Fuller (now Dillards).

The windows were beautifully decorated and stores were filled with lush, colorful Christmas decor. It was a feast for the eyes!

---

My sis and I still talk about the fact that one whole floor was devoted to fabric, patterns and notions. Oh, the beautiful brocades and fancy fabrics. Delicious!

---

But it was standing outside looking at those windows that made your heart sing. Lovely, nostalgic decorations that moved and told a story.

---

I truly miss all that.

---

When I moved to DC, I was so happy to find Woodies, which was comparable. I would take the subway on my lunch hour from my office on the Hill to Metro Center and Woodies. Nice memories.

Respected Contributor

@Mershawrote:

The picture is of an iconic department store located in the DC Metro area, Woodward & Lothrop in 1957. It was a wonderful store that closed years ago. I still miss it.

------

I am sure there were stores such as this one all over the country. The picture took me back to being a little girl. We dressed up and then traveled downtown to the department store to look at the beautiful displays in the windows and ooohhh and ahhh.

------

Growing up in Pittsburgh, the trip usually involved snow of some sort. Then, if we promised to be good, we were allowed to go inside and view all of the decorations. It was so magical.

May be an image of 2 people, people standing and indoor

I used to love to brose around "Woodies" on my lunch hpur. Qualify merchandise to fit most every pocketbook and lovely employees who treated everyone with respect. I also miss the sight of the yearly Christmas decorations in the windows. Best in the city... I only wish my children would have also been able to enjoy the displays.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MershaThis photo reminds me of when I would go shopping with my mother when I was a child in Manhattan. We would go to B. Altmans, Bonwit Teller, Saks Fifth Avenue. Around Christmas we would go and look at the windows decorated for the Holidays. They were beautiful!

Esteemed Contributor

What a fun picture; brings back so many memories. And look at that - - not one of the customers is in her pj's!

Honored Contributor

We lived in a very small town in Indiana,but our down town stores were busy ,people were friendly, what we called the square was decorated, just made the feeling of Christmas so nice, miss all of that,we really have lost so much.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I grew up with Marshall Fields and Gimbels. I miss their holiday decorations, especially the animated figures in the window displays at Christmas.