Regular Contributor

Choosing an electric supplier

I live in Pa. I never chose an electric supplier. My bill is a lot higher than it used to be. I'm wondering if choosing another supplier would help.

Honored Contributor

Re: Choosing an electric supplier

Every place I've ever lived, electricity is a monopoly and there is no choice.  If you have a choice, you could call and get their cost per kilowatt hour.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@jagk wrote:

I live in Pa. I never chose an electric supplier. My bill is a lot higher than it used to be. I'm wondering if choosing another supplier would help.

We have never had a choice in our city. Talk about a monopoly!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I'm in Ct. and not a week goes by that at least one of them isn't calling my house or sending me a mailing. There have been a few news items on my local tv stations website about these companies. You can end up after an initial period of lower costs worse off than you were before you switched.

Honored Contributor

Invest in in all solar and sell back your extra energy to the supplier. That is the way to go.

Honored Contributor

we have a choice of electric and gas suppliers, but anytime we have problems we call BGE (baltimore gas and electric), not the electric supplier, because they still "deliver" the energy.

once you choose your supplier you MUST keep on top of their rates. you can start out with a great rate, but after a year or so you can be back paying the highest prices. in other words, it always pays to shop around.

the delivery/transportation of the energy is regulated.

the supply/cost of the gas and electric is NOT regulated.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

In this area of WV, we have no choice when it comes to providers for electricity and land line phone service.    

Esteemed Contributor

@jagk wrote:

The answer could be maybe. I am not a fan of third party electric suppliers. You have to understand how often the rate will change on your electric service, month to month.  Do you have to signup for a  term 12-18 months?

http://www.papowerswitch.com/about-switching-power/how-to-choose-a-supplier/

Honored Contributor

We got a letter from our township about 2 months ago that our entire township was being switched over to a 3rd party supplier and it was our responsibility to opt out of the switch - not the other way around.

For a savings of $5-6 a month, it's not worth it to us.

Like another poster stated, the big company would still be responsible for the meter readings, emergencies and charge a delivery fee and service fee.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in PA and choose a new supplier every January (but you can change any time you want as long as you're not under contract).  PA makes it very easy.  Just go to the PA Power Switch website, enter your zip code, select your rate schedule (R or RH; it should be on your bill, but usually RH would be if you use electricty for heating rather than gas or another fuel), and then it will list your results, i.e. how many offers are available to you.  The main variables are (1) fixed rate vs varable rate, (2) term commitment or no term, and (3) is there a penalty for early termination.  

http://www.papowerswitch.com/

Once you see a deal you like, go to the supplier's website to confirm the deal and sign-up.  The supplier will confirm your choice via letter or email, and will notify your utility.

I usually sign-up for fixed rate, one year, and no penalty..  I keep an eye on rates during the year to be sure my rate is still competitive.

By the way, before going to PA Power Switch, make sure you know your current price.  This must be shown on the face of your monthly bill and labelled as "price to compare."