Honored Contributor

Re: Choosing To Travel By Air

@Mz iMac 

Thank you, I was unaware of cross-country  Amtrak. That sounds like great fun and, unlike flying, I wouldn't be confined to a seat.

Esteemed Contributor

I prefer planes for long distances. Driving has become a chore with all the road and traffic issues.  However we haven't flown since the Covid hit and will wait it out.  I want to enjoy my vacation and I don't know the rules of travel these days. 

Respected Contributor

I haven't flown during the pandemic however in December my daughter became a commercial pilot and me and my husband can fly cheaply or free with her benefits, so far I havent used them but I have a friend that retired to Oregon that I want to fly to see. She is only one state away and I can tell she is very lonely, she moved to be near her mother and her mother is now in a care home.  

In this situation I could always rent a car and drive home if something happened.  My daughter said for the most part the passengers have been kind.  I never knew this but when there are delays the flight crew is not paid for that time, thought that was interesting.

Esteemed Contributor

People are making travel plans via air travel.  The airlines too are fully aware of the shortages but still are taking reservations.

Honored Contributor

@spumoni99 

That doesn't seem fair that they aren't paid. Did you ever imagine that your little girl would someday be flying big commercial planes? You must be so proud of her.

Respected Contributor

America has always been a country with a population on the move.  Two years of staying at home also made many people anxious to start traveling again. Others may have work or family obligations.

I am sure many folks booked their tickets a while back, and did not realize the problems would continue or worsen.  

Others have flexible schedules and are willing to take the risk.

I am not sure people are getting stranded in foreign countries; this appears to be more a U.S. domestic travel challenge.

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@spumoni99 

That doesn't seem fair that they aren't paid. Did you ever imagine that your little girl would someday be flying big commercial planes? You must be so proud of her.

No I didn't but growing up she wanted to be an astronaut.  She went to the Air Force Academy out of high school but broke her leg in boot camp and chose not to return, I thought her dream of flying was gone I was really disaapointed for her but a few years after she graduated from college my high school sweetheart found me on facebook, we met for lunch (he knows I am happily married) he was a pilot and never had children so he enjoyed mentoring his friends kids.  He encouraged her to go take a flying lesson to see how she liked it, she loved it.  We told her we would pay for her training in leiu of her getting a masters degree, it was an expensive journey but she made it.  Unfortunately my friend passed away two years ago and never got to see her become a pilot.  We still need to fly on one of her flights, that would be wierd!

She did fly a small 4 seater home (she lives in san diego we are in northern ca) anyway I just couldn't go up with her I am too scared of heights. Sorry I rambled I guess I am a pround mom!

Honored Contributor

@spumoni99 

Thank you for sharing. 

Trusted Contributor

This month I flew from my small midwest city to Florida and back with DS's family to take the grands to Disney World.  We had no problems.  This trip was not a whim.  It was planned for over 6 months, so it's not like we would consider changing the plans due to the news about flights.  When you plan far ahead, have car rentals, condo units, etc. lined up, it would be very difficult to change plans.  Most people who are doing vacation travel have to take their chances.

Honored Contributor

I think you answered your own question....for fun.  While there are problems with delayed and canceled flights, it's not happiness with ALL flights.  Obviously.  We hear about the problems, we don't hear about the 90% that are problem free.  We opted not to fly anywhere this summer and it's just June and I an already regretting that decision.  I love my vacations!  Last summer we had a disaster returning from Myrtle Beach.  Flight delays, cancelations, rerouting.  We spent 20 hours freezing in airports so we decided to hold off this summer we wish we hadn't now.  It was awful at the time but no one died. The kids in our group enjoyed it.   We arrived home safe and sound with a horror story to bore people with.  Fun, relaxation, leisure, seeing different places, getting away from our routines....those things are important to people.  It's worth the RISK of some travel hiccups to make it happen.