Honored Contributor

Re: Chloroquine as Treatment?

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

It's my understanding that on GMA this morning, Dr. Jennifer Ashton addressed the issue of people being denied refills of this medication for their lupus.  I didn't see the segment.  

I don't know about this morning and I can't find it, but I did see an episode of her on The View where she was talking about how we have to listen to CDC and WHO etc.

Then she talked about testing and said we should have begun testing in Dec when we heard about China. 

Gee she somehow didn't mention that the WHO told the world on Jan 14 that this virus was NOT a problem because Chinese medical personnel had assured them that it did not spread among humans.

She also didn't mention the high numbers of people being tested who are negative - instead going with the mantra that because we haven't tested enough - we have no idea how widespread - and dangerous this all is.

So no I am not at all surprised if she did try to create more panic by telling sick people they will not be able to get their needed medication now that this treatment is being used for virus patients.

Totally agree.

I best just Heart you, than say what I really want to say.

Honored Contributor

We really need a better test to check for cv infection. The one that is being used now (swab) is not 100% sensitive. There are reports of 'negatives' that are false which could be as many as 3% of the tests performed. A better test would be one where blood is checked for antibodies to the cv. If the antibodies are present then that would confirm virus infection. Antibodies are easier to see. Viruses are not because they are very small and sometimes difficult to detect at all.

Honored Contributor

@GrailSeeker wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I'm going to start hoarding tonic water. How's that for bad behavior?! Woman LOL

I read up on tonic water.  People should be aware that it, too, may not be safe for everyone.

https://www.healthline.com/health/quinine-in-tonic-water

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonic_water

Not enough quinine in tonic water to do any good. They all contain high fructose corn syrup too.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

We really need a better test to check for cv infection. The one that is being used now (swab) is not 100% sensitive. There are reports of 'negatives' that are false which could be as many as 3% of the tests performed. A better test would be one where blood is checked for antibodies to the cv. If the antibodies are present then that would confirm virus infection. Antibodies are easier to see. Viruses are not because they are very small and sometimes difficult to detect at all.

I thought antibodies appear after exposure to a disease. ANd don't they appear once the disease is resolved?

Can anyone answer this?

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

@Isobel Archer, in case you or anyone else might be interested, there is some great information out there about how Taiwan acted early and aggressively and how successful they have been.  This despite close geographical proximity to China with many residents traveling back and forth between the 2 countries.  

Multiple articles out there in public health journals and one published in the Journal of the American Medical Association but the one public article out there that has the specific information is "How Taiwan and Singapore Have Contained Cornavirus" published by Slate.  I mention this specific article because it actually contains specific information from the JAMA article & gives a better layout of timing. 

Taiwan is being touted by many experts as having set the standard in this specific pandemic.  But it also demonstrates that with the same information anyone else had, the actions they took and those actions started right after Dec 31.  

@pitdakota, I heard it reported somewhere, but I cannot remember which program, that South Korea has done a very good job at containment as well.   

@Lipstickdiva     Yes, South Korea had an initial surge of cases but with their measures they have good numbers that have lasted for a while I believe.  But then again, at one point they had tested at least a quarter of a million people fairly quickly.  So they knew the pockets and could do isolation, qurantine, etc.    Fingers crossed their case numbers and fatalities stay down! 

But Taiwan kept their total numbers down to less than 50 cases with just one death.  In a population somewhere around 25 million, give or take a little (cause I can't quite remember their total population). 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I thought antibodies appear after exposure to a disease. ANd don't they appear once the disease is resolved?

Can anyone answer this?

Antibodies are made by our bodies in response to an invader, such as a virus. Each antibody is specific to the intruder. So if we can identify the type of antibody present in our body then we can assume it is there because of a virus being there at one point in time. Some antibodies can last a lifetime or they can disappear after a period of time. 

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@GrailSeeker wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I'm going to start hoarding tonic water. How's that for bad behavior?! Woman LOL

I read up on tonic water.  People should be aware that it, too, may not be safe for everyone.

https://www.healthline.com/health/quinine-in-tonic-water

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonic_water

Not enough quinine in tonic water to do any good. They all contain high fructose corn syrup too.

Not all tonic water has sugar.

Respected Contributor

There was one more thing I wanted to share....I think it was this thread I read a post that asked about why a drug that suppresses the immune response would be helpful.

I heard a doctor on the news (I do not remember who it was/wish I did) but he said the issue that is happening with the people that get the pneumonia with this ...is that they have a immune response called cytokine storm.  It cause the lungs to over produce the mucus and so on which then causes the person to not be able to oxygenate the blood thur out the body.  He explained it much better then I am remembering here....but it made sense to me even though I am not a medical person at all!  

If you google cytokine storm there is alot of doctors explaining it and in context to this virus with the secondary complication of pneumonia.

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite 

Yes, cytokine modulators. I saw that doctor on the news talking about that. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'll listen to Dr. Fauci on this treatment as he has proceeded with caution as far as premature pronouncements because he said so far the evidence is anecdotal. Hearsay and rushing to judgement can be dangerous.