Honored Contributor

Re: Chloroquine as Treatment?

@ccassaday wrote:

That man and his wife took fish tank cleaner. They did not take the prescription drug.

We all know that, no one is disputing that fact! 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

@ccassaday wrote:

That man and his wife took fish tank cleaner. They did not take the prescription drug.

Exactly.  There are also reports of people drinking bleach because they heard it killed the virus.  

Respected Contributor

Governor Cuomo is going to start treatment today in NYC using this treatment.  Hope it works for all of us.

Esteemed Contributor

This drug is safe and cheap. I wouldn’t worry about a shortage. People have been using it for years. In India they are also going to start giving to medical workers and to people who think they were exposed as a preventative.  IF this works we will bring this virus to a stop.

Valued Contributor

What are we arguing about here? 

Don't we all hope that this drug shows promise?

Aren't we all cautiously optimistic?

Isn't everyone on this thread saying don't run out and take this on your own, but wait for medical approval?

I guess I don't get what the debate is right now. This is not a political issue unless we make it one. There are leaders on both sides of the aisle that are hopeful testing shows promise. 

Our respected medical officials will tell us if it does not work. And if it doesn't, then they'll move on to the next potential treatment (although I suspect they are looking at many things already and not putting all their eggs in this one basket).  

Let's all just hope together that we, as a planet, are getting closer to find something works.

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Respected Contributor

Trusted Contributor

I had just read, the evening before the headlines on the couple who used chloroquine, on a different website, that chloroquine was the same chemical that is used to treat "ich" in tropical fish.

We used to have a tropical fish tank (hubby's hobby).  If you have ever kept tropical fish, you know that "ich", pronounced "ick" is a parasite.

This seemed to correlate with the fact that Africa does not seem to be having the spread of coronavirus that other countries are having.  Many there are on chloroquine prophylactically for malaria, which is another parasite.  

It was a short leap in logic to assume that if you had chloroquine, you could take it prophylactically the way it is taken in Africa.

This was an older couple who should have known better, had they went on to read that in the wrong dosage that chloroquine can be poisonous.  But I can certainly see where they came up with this idea.  

Honored Contributor

@GrailSeeker wrote:

I had just read, the evening before the headlines on the couple who used chloroquine, on a different website, that chloroquine was the same chemical that is used to treat "ich" in tropical fish.

We used to have a tropical fish tank (hubby's hobby).  If you have ever kept tropical fish, you know that "ich", pronounced "ick" is a parasite.

This seemed to correlate with the fact that Africa does not seem to be having the spread of coronavirus that other countries are having.  Many there are on chloroquine prophylactically for malaria, which is another parasite.  

It was a short leap in logic to assume that if you had chloroquine, you could take it prophylactically the way it is taken in Africa.

This was an older couple who should have known better, had they went on to read that in the wrong dosage that chloroquine can be poisonous.  But I can certainly see where they came up with this idea.  

There are people dying on the African continent from this virus. 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Trusted Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@GrailSeeker wrote:

There are people dying on the African continent from this virus. 

Here is the CDC map:

https://google.org/crisisresponse/covid19-map

Honored Contributor

Stupid people do stupid stuff. For a while, the word was that snorting cocaine and drinking bleach would kill the virus. Uh, no. Talking about the potential of hydroxychloroquine is not a problem. It gives people reason for hope. Hope is a valuable thing to have. There are dozens of anecdotal stories out there of people who have taken this drug mix (it's not just the hydroxychloroquine but a combination of drugs) under medical supervision who have made remarkable recoveries. Do we have absolute proof it works? Not yet. But studies are being done and show some early promise. There's nothing wrong with giving people reason to hope this thing ends soon.

The drug combo isn't something you can just buy off a street drug dealer anyway. The only way to get it is with a prescription. The idiots taking a similar-sounding compound intended for fish are idiots. They're experiencing Darwinian evolution firsthand. They're killing themselves to avoid dying from something they probably wouldn't get anyway. They clearly aren't the fittest for survival among us. 

I'm cautiously optimistic that we could see this issue ending in the very near future with minimal deaths. China has been stable at around 81,000 cases for quite a while now. Either they're lying or they've got this under control. If they can do it, we can do it. If hydroxychloroquine is part of the solution, then great. If it's not, then we'll move on to something else. But there will be a solution to the problem.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!