Esteemed Contributor

Re: Chloroquine as Treatment?

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Fingers crossed!! I'm proud of my Governor Andrew Cuomo for pushing the trials to begin in New York,the hardest hit state. They began yesterday!!

"Keep hope alive"!!

I'll tell you something. I'm a West Coaster, and I trust my governor to handle things in the right way. But I have to say I have never appreciated more than I do today, the straight forward talks Andrew Cuomo has put forth daily. There is no deception or soft soaping anything with him. You are lucky to have him in one of the most populous states in the union. At least SOMEBODY knows how to take the reins without worrying about his own selfish interests.

Esteemed Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Nevada's governor has banned the use of the drug for ANY coronavirus patient claiming that there is "no proof" that it works.

So someone dying of respiratory distress will have the comfort of knowing that the Governor had their best interest at heart by not allowing them to take a drug that had not gone through all the clinical trials necessary for full endorsement.  They don't even have to worry about informed consent.  The decision has been made for them.

He's right. Fauci himself said there are only anecdotal instances, not tested proofs. There are people who have died trying the drug more rapidly than had they let the virus run its course with conventional treatment methods. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@D Kay wrote:

Yes - Dr. Fauci (sp?) said they will be evaluating the effectiveness of this an other antivirals.

@D Kay   

With the same efficacy of all the flu shots he has evaluated over the past few years, many of which were ineffective.   I wish he would leave this work to the experts and just run his numbers.

@Nonametoday:  Excerpt from https://www.niaid.nih.gov/about/director

Dr. Fauci was appointed Director of NIAID in 1984. He oversees an extensive research portfolio of basic and applied research to prevent, diagnose, and treat established infectious diseases such as HIV/AIDS, respiratory infections, diarrheal diseases, tuberculosis and malaria as well as emerging diseases such as Ebola and Zika. NIAID also supports research on transplantation and immune-related illnesses, including autoimmune disorders, asthma and allergies. The NIAID budget for fiscal year 2020 is an estimated $5.9 billion.

Dr. Fauci has advised six Presidents on HIV/AIDS and many other domestic and global health issues. He was one of the principal architects of the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), a program that has saved millions of lives throughout the developing world.

Read Dr. Fauci's Biography

But he's not an expert.  Things that leave me shaking my head.

What? Dr. Fauci is not an expert? My God, with his credentials in infectious diseases and his experience dealing with pandemic diseases, if he isn't an expert, then NOBODY is! Who exactly would be acceptable to you? SMH!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nonametoday wrote:

@D Kay wrote:

Yes - Dr. Fauci (sp?) said they will be evaluating the effectiveness of this an other antivirals.

@D Kay   

With the same efficacy of all the flu shots he has evaluated over the past few years, many of which were ineffective.   I wish he would leave this work to the experts and just run his numbers.

Flu shots DO NOT guarantee that all strains will be covered, nor is there a guarantee that every single person who gets the shots will not get the flu. The majority of the population who get flu shots are either protected from getting the flu or will have a mild case of it. I know of no innoculation that is 100% effective on 100% of the population. Dr. Fauci evaluates based on the evidence he has. If you expect 100% protection, in these innoculations, then we may as well just not have any innoculations. When I finally started getting the shots, I saw results and still do every single year. If I got a strain not covered, I have confidence that my symptoms would be milder. I'm satisfied, and I am compromised with asthma.

Esteemed Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

I'll listen to Dr. Fauci on this treatment as he has proceeded with caution as far as premature pronouncements because he said so far the evidence is anecdotal. Hearsay and rushing to judgement can be dangerous.

As I understand it, they are only giving it to people who are having respiratory issues - hence the explanations above about how and why it apparently is working.

I really don't understand why people are so upset when potentially it can save lives - and is being used for that purpose.

No one is suggesting that everyone go out and take it.  The majority of people apparently get over the virus - this is for those serious hospitalized cases.

Nobody is upset about it being used. I imagine people would want caution on the part of the medical profession before they jump to action. That med can also cause side effects. Fauci was suggesting proceeding with caution. Besides, I thought you believed the media had over hyped the whole pandemic. Aren't you worried about overhyping the inconclusive use of the drug as a panacea when right now they are in the preliminary stages of looking at it as a possible remedy? As for the guy banning it, is HE a doctor or medical researcher? I'm guessing he can be forced legally should the occasion arise.

Esteemed Contributor

No, they are idiots. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

We had a local couple here in the Bay Area who contracted the virus on a Nile River cruise.  Upon returning here, they both became ill and were hospitalized at Stanford, the wife in more serious condition.  They used the ebola drug Remdesivir along with antibiotics on her and she recovered.  Both are out of the hospital now and are in isolation at home.  Her husband works for the local biotech company that developed the drug.

And in Washington state where I live, Geneva Wood, a 90 year old stroke victim in Life Care Nursing Home for rehab, contracted Covid-19 while there as did many in that home. She was transferred to a Seattle hospital, and began to fail day by day as a respirator helped her breathe. Her family said their goodbyes as did she, and she was moved out of ICU into a regular room to die. Her family kept bringing her the favorite potato soup she wanted to eat once the respirator was removed.Somehow, against all odds, she began to rally. She was recently released with a negative blood test for the virus. No one expected this at all. They don't know if there were antibodies in her blood that helped her recover, or if she was such a fighter that she wouldn't give up, or if it was the potato soup. Everyone wants the recipe, and at least we all know it's harmless to us all.

Esteemed Contributor

Fauci is brilliant and is an expert. The reasoning behind the drug use is that it has been on the market for years and used safely. So no human testing is needed. The drug will be given to patients who are critically ill with no other hope. If they can, they will agree or not; it will be given with consent of the patient or family member. At the same time, it’s a clinical study and they’ll have data as to efficacy
Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

There was one more thing I wanted to share....I think it was this thread I read a post that asked about why a drug that suppresses the immune response would be helpful.

I heard a doctor on the news (I do not remember who it was/wish I did) but he said the issue that is happening with the people that get the pneumonia with this ...is that they have a immune response called cytokine storm.  It cause the lungs to over produce the mucus and so on which then causes the person to not be able to oxygenate the blood thur out the body.  He explained it much better then I am remembering here....but it made sense to me even though I am not a medical person at all!  

If you google cytokine storm there is alot of doctors explaining it and in context to this virus with the secondary complication of pneumonia.

I saw this described as this particular metaphor -- sending a SWAT team to make an arrest.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼