Honored Contributor

Re: Chloroquine as Treatment?

Not zinc, azithromycin.  Z-pak.

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

I'm wondering if you get it once are you then immune from it or can you get it again?

@MalteseMomma   My understanding is that they have not yet determined this, so if quinine can be used as a preventive, perhaps so.

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@MalteseMomma wrote:

I'm wondering if you get it once are you then immune from it or can you get it again?

@MalteseMomma   My understanding is that they have not yet determined this, so if quinine can be used as a preventive, perhaps so.

There have been reported cases of people who allegedly had it, tested negative and then later tested positive.  So I don't know if that means you can get it again - or if it just means the tests are still inaccurate - or simply don't work on some  people.

As of now, I think the drugs are being used solely to save lives - as it seems all the reporting reflects use in a hospital setting - with people in respiratory distress.  While it may have a preventative effect, I think they are really waiting for a vaccine to deal with that.

Esteemed Contributor

Fingers crossed!! I'm proud of my Governor Andrew Cuomo for pushing the trials to begin in New York,the hardest hit state. They began yesterday!!

"Keep hope alive"!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@D Kay wrote:

Yes - Dr. Fauci (sp?) said they will be evaluating the effectiveness of this an other antivirals.

@D Kay   

With the same efficacy of all the flu shots he has evaluated over the past few years, many of which were ineffective.   I wish he would leave this work to the experts and just run his numbers.

@Nonametoday:  Excerpt from https://www.niaid.nih.gov/about/director

Dr. Fauci was appointed Director of NIAID in 1984. He oversees an extensive research portfolio of basic and applied research to prevent, diagnose, and treat established infectious diseases such as HIV/AIDS, respiratory infections, diarrheal diseases, tuberculosis and malaria as well as emerging diseases such as Ebola and Zika. NIAID also supports research on transplantation and immune-related illnesses, including autoimmune disorders, asthma and allergies. The NIAID budget for fiscal year 2020 is an estimated $5.9 billion.

Dr. Fauci has advised six Presidents on HIV/AIDS and many other domestic and global health issues. He was one of the principal architects of the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), a program that has saved millions of lives throughout the developing world.

Read Dr. Fauci's Biography

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

Nevada's governor has banned the use of the drug for ANY coronavirus patient claiming that there is "no proof" that it works.

So someone dying of respiratory distress will have the comfort of knowing that the Governor had their best interest at heart by not allowing them to take a drug that had not gone through all the clinical trials necessary for full endorsement.  They don't even have to worry about informed consent.  The decision has been made for them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@lovesrecess wrote:

A couple in Arizona tried using their fish tank cleaner to prevent getting the virus when the wife noticed that chloroquine was listed as an ingredient on the pkg. The man died right away and the wife is in ICU. It should only be used in a hospital, monitored by a doctor, and used in conjunction with another drug. 

Too many bits and pieces of medical info out there!

@lovesrecess, just to clarify, the chloroquine that was in the fish tank cleaner was not made for human consumption.

The couple had unfortunately heard the word from TPTB but didn't have the knowledge or, sad to say, the good judgement to understand not to drink fish tank cleaner.

Yes, this is the reason that I listen only to credible experts.

So you truly believe that if they had heard a medical doctor mention the same medicine - which in fact, Dr. Fauci did acknowledge was being used, the couple would never have considered drinking fish tank cleaner.  Well OK then.

There is an excellent chance I am going to regret wading into this but seriously @Isobel Archer  Dr. Fauci was speaking to an FDA approved medicine and not a fish tank cleaner but unfortunately folks that are so frightened right now are not making good and researched choices.  I also apologize if I have missed other nuances within the thread but for me this is just a dumb conversation (advanced apologies for those I have offended).

I mean no offense to anyone but we should leave medicine to the professionals, period.  The medical community are flying testing/trials out as soon as is prudent and should be left to their own established protocols and not give in to other pressures.

This is also causing a shortage of that medicine that folks take regularly for lupus and other illnesses.  Seriously, we just need to stop. 

Of course we need to leave medicine to the professionals - I don't know where I have ever said otherwise.  I don't even like ads for prescribed medication on TV - No I would not like to "ask my doctor" to give me a purple pill.  I trust my doctor to know what pills - if  any at all - I should be taking.  And of course I would ask questions about potential side effects and natural and lifestyle alternatives.  Currently, I do not take ANY prescribed medication so I am clearly not someone who thinks I must go out and take the latest thing going.

Having said all that, I do NOT see the harm in telling the public that a treatment is being tried that seems to be having a good effect.  I do NOT see that as an encouragement to people who are not even sick to race to the doctor to demand this treatment and certainly not a suggestion that they should try to make their own.

I did see earlier in this thread that someone said Dr. Ashton said on GMA that we are in danger of running out of the drug and that people who take it for lupus or other issues won't be able to refill their prescriptions.  If she did say that - please tell me what possible good reason she would have for doing so?

Why would she want to frighten already sick people by telling them they wouldn't be able to refill their prescriptions?  Why?

If her real purpose was to stop doctors from prescribing this drug for the virus - because of her fears of shortage - shouldn't she be directing her concerns to CDC or FDA and not terrorizing the public?

@Isobel Archer, That is not at all what I said.  I did say that she was going to be on GMA and address the issue but that I didn't see the segment. I have no idea what she actually said.  

And despite the fact that you admittedly didn't see the segment either, you had an awful lot to say about her and are still going on about it. 

And I see someone linked an article about doctors hoarding this unproven treatment drug by writing prescriptions for themselves and family members.  But yep, without having all the facts, Dr. Ashton is full of baloney and trying to cause people to panic.   

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@D Kay wrote:

Yes - Dr. Fauci (sp?) said they will be evaluating the effectiveness of this an other antivirals.

@D Kay   

With the same efficacy of all the flu shots he has evaluated over the past few years, many of which were ineffective.   I wish he would leave this work to the experts and just run his numbers.

@Nonametoday:  Excerpt from https://www.niaid.nih.gov/about/director

Dr. Fauci was appointed Director of NIAID in 1984. He oversees an extensive research portfolio of basic and applied research to prevent, diagnose, and treat established infectious diseases such as HIV/AIDS, respiratory infections, diarrheal diseases, tuberculosis and malaria as well as emerging diseases such as Ebola and Zika. NIAID also supports research on transplantation and immune-related illnesses, including autoimmune disorders, asthma and allergies. The NIAID budget for fiscal year 2020 is an estimated $5.9 billion.

Dr. Fauci has advised six Presidents on HIV/AIDS and many other domestic and global health issues. He was one of the principal architects of the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), a program that has saved millions of lives throughout the developing world.

Read Dr. Fauci's Biography

But he's not an expert.  Things that leave me shaking my head.

Respected Contributor

Interiew on Philadelphia AM 900 radio:

CHRIS STIGALL:If you’re a doctor listening to me right now and a patient with coronavirus feels like they want to try [Chloroquine] and you’re their doctor, you’re not Anthony Fauci the guy running the coronavirus task force, would you say ‘alright, we’ll give it a whirl’?

DR. ANTHONY FAUCI: Yeah, of course, particularly if people have no other option. You want to give them hope. In fact, for physicians in this country, these drugs are approved drugs for other reasons. They’re anti-malaria drugs and they’re drugs against certain autoimmune diseases, like lupus. Physicians throughout the country can prescribe that in an off-label way. Which means they can write it for something it was not originally approved for. People do that all the time, and it really is an individual choice between the physician and his or her patient as to whether or not they want to do that.

Despite Fauci’s remarks, Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak (D) signed an emergency hours later order banning the use of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine to treat coronavirus.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Interiew on Philadelphia AM 900 radio:

CHRIS STIGALL:If you’re a doctor listening to me right now and a patient with coronavirus feels like they want to try [Chloroquine] and you’re their doctor, you’re not Anthony Fauci the guy running the coronavirus task force, would you say ‘alright, we’ll give it a whirl’?

DR. ANTHONY FAUCI: Yeah, of course, particularly if people have no other option. You want to give them hope. In fact, for physicians in this country, these drugs are approved drugs for other reasons. They’re anti-malaria drugs and they’re drugs against certain autoimmune diseases, like lupus. Physicians throughout the country can prescribe that in an off-label way. Which means they can write it for something it was not originally approved for. People do that all the time, and it really is an individual choice between the physician and his or her patient as to whether or not they want to do that.

Despite Fauci’s remarks, Nevada Gov. Steve Sisolak (D) signed an emergency hours later order banning the use of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine to treat coronavirus.

@Isobel Archer , this should be upsetting to the citizens of Nevada. It makes me angry and I live in Ohio. Why, why, why?