Esteemed Contributor

Re: Chinese and Sushi Resturants

Most of ours are still open but only for take out. 

Honored Contributor

What I find interesting:

Every one of the Chinese & Japanese restaurants whether just take out or dine in closed immediately when the virus was announced.  

They have signs stating closed ... nothing more.

And what I find even more confusing every nail salon in our area  closed at the exact same time.  I think most are owned by Vietnamese.

Why did they close so quickly when the "shutdown of non-essential" businesses wasn't until Thursday, 4/2 @ 12 midnight by the Governor.  This was almost a month later than other states.

I wonder how these thriving businesses just closed considering this is their income.  Especially considering many restaurants are offering take-out options.

🤷‍♀️

Esteemed Contributor

We have a few Chinese places in our small area and the only one to close to my knowledge, is our favorite place for take out.  The people who own it are Chinese and said they would be back in two weeks.  I told DH since we do not know where they are going, we will not be ordering from them in a long time.  Several other places are open for take out only and we will be ordering from one of those places.  We are familiar with those places as well so will know if we see familiar faces or not.  I understand they may be concerned about their families but am not going to risk the health of my family in the meantime.  

Honored Contributor

@mustang66lady wrote:

We have a few Chinese places in our small area and the only one to close to my knowledge, is our favorite place for take out.  The people who own it are Chinese and said they would be back in two weeks.  I told DH since we do not know where they are going, we will not be ordering from them in a long time.  Several other places are open for take out only and we will be ordering from one of those places.  We are familiar with those places as well so will know if we see familiar faces or not.  I understand they may be concerned about their families but am not going to risk the health of my family in the meantime.  

Oh my goodness, did it ever cross your mind that they may be at home as well? 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@homedecor1

Some Asian business owners received threats and abusive comments hurled at them. They also has mass cancellations - no customers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Chinese is available for take out, with limited hours.  The Japanese restaurants closed full stop the day after California shelter in place took effect  I miss it as it was my favorite.  But I guess with dealing with  fresh sushi and sashimi it was not possible.  Getting thespecial fish was probably not going to happen

Esteemed Contributor

The chinese restaurants in my area are closed.  I would be hesitant anyway to get take out from a place that is not busy, worried about the age of the food.   We're being overly cautious I guess, we have not gotten any take out at all for weeks.  My favorite pizza place that has been in business in our town since the 70's is closed.  It's family run and I guess they put on facebook that they were closing for a while to protect their family.

Cannot blame them but I am dying for a pizza!!!

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

What I find interesting:

Every one of the Chinese & Japanese restaurants whether just take out or dine in closed immediately when the virus was announced.  

They have signs stating closed ... nothing more.

And what I find even more confusing every nail salon in our area  closed at the exact same time.  I think most are owned by Vietnamese.

Why did they close so quickly when the "shutdown of non-essential" businesses wasn't until Thursday, 4/2 @ 12 midnight by the Governor.  This was almost a month later than other states.

I wonder how these thriving businesses just closed considering this is their income.  Especially considering many restaurants are offering take-out options.

🤷‍♀️

I think that Asian cultures take infectious disease more seriously. It's common in China or Taiwan to wear masks when sick or there's "something going around," and here that's just something we don't do.

And compare the way Taiwan and South Korea responded to the way we did, for example. Americans tend to believe we're invincible and that with enough gumption and hard work, we can overcome anything. We tend to focus on personal liberty more than society as a whole. Those attitudes don't work when we're dealing with a virus. Taiwan and South Korea locked down right away, had widespread testing, and even disinfected streets. We have been late to the party on all of those, meanwhile, still having actual parties in homes, on the beaches, and going to church in large groups because Americans tend to think we're invincible, can beat anything, and value liberty.

Respected Contributor

That's too bad. I think many are still open here. (I don't go outside because of my asthma, but I see them in the delivery order apps.)

I don't order any uncooked foods for delivery right now, so no sushi or salads. I won't even get a hamburger because the bun won't be cooked. But I have ordered from my favorite Thai place.

Honored Contributor

@bikerbabe 

those were my thoughts but not sure if I could post them without seeming "political".  

I'm sure that is certainly a reason ....